Chapter 12 - Final Showdown

Raven ducked out of the way and slid onto the ground, knocking Phoenix onto his back like a soccer player would try and injure his opponent.

Meanwhile, Nick rushed up and punted the falling agent in the head, looking over at Raven. "What do we do now?" He asked.

"We gotta aim for the microchip. It's attached to a power supply in his brain," she said before sliding the knife's blade back into its handle.

Phoenix staggered back up to his feet and quickly dodged out the way as Nick rammed his shoulder into the wall. "You were so close," he sneered before punching Nick with a hard fist to the back of his head.

Nick dropped to his knees and looked around. His vision started to double as he looked up at Phoenix and scrambled back towards the wall. "Raven, now's your chance!" he said, kicking one of his knives over to her.

Raven picked up the weapon and caused the steel blade to pop out of the top end of it. She ran over to Phoenix and attempted to end the brawl.

But the cloned cyborg swung at Raven with his own weapon and forced the blade to slide back into the handle as she dropped it. He then sent a flurry of strikes her way, but the final one had been countered by Raven.

Nick then got up and grabbed a dropped knife while sneaking up behind Phoenix as he attempted to destroy the microchip. He grabbed onto the agent's arm and prepared to deliver the final blow.

Phoenix managed to jerk his wrist out of the way and watched as Nick hit nothing but air. "Pathetic," he laughed before knocking the dagger out of his opponent's hand. "You guys really think you can stop me?!" He kicked the weapon away and turned his attention towards Raven again.

Raven made a run towards the knife and looked over her shoulder at Nick who was trying to keep Phoenix preoccupied by driving him back towards the wall. She looked back in front of her and picked up the knife then threw it as hard as she could.

It rotated like a jet propellor and flew through the air towards its intended target with a swish sound. The knife's blade pointed itself towards the black and red microchip before falling a few inches in front of Nick and Phoenix.

Nick dived for the weapon and quickly flicked it over his shoulder, not looking at where it was going. He heard a loud thump and turned around.

The knife had lodged itself into the wall. Phoenix smirked and looked at Nick before combining his weapons into a staff. "Oh, this is gonna be fun..." he said while twirling the staff over his head.

Nick looked over his shoulder at Raven then back at their opponent. He dodged an incoming attack and rolled forward before delivering an uppercut to Phoenix's groin as he stood up quickly and tossed the staff over to Raven.

Raven caught the weapon and twirled it as Nick created his own staff with his escrima sticks. "Now, Phoenix... let's have a little discussion about—"

Miguel came into the room as the sound a gun cocking back was heard. He walked towards them and pointed the gun straight at Phoenix.

Phoenix sprung up into a fighting stance and pulled the knife out of the wall. "It's time to end this," he said before slicing at Nick with the close range weapon.

Nick had no time to react and got caught as a gash quickly appeared across the back of his hand, causing him to cry out in pain and drop his weapon.

Raven interrupted and kicked Phoenix in the back of the thigh hard, causing him to drop the knife. She quickly kicked it towards Miguel as she and Nick battled Phoenix, despite his injury.

Phoenix might have been weaponless, but he didn't let that stop him. He blocked almost all the incoming attacks and only took a few minor blows before yanking the staff away from Raven. He turned towards Nick and unleashed a flurry of attacks, driving him back towards the wall.

Nick kicked Phoenix away and suddenly experienced a flashback as he heard Phoenix's taunting voice in his mind: "You can never escape me." Nick knew what he had to do. He had to think like Agent Phoenix and think back to when he was Phoenix.

Phoenix then ran up to Nick to deliver the knockout blow, but he had dodged out of the way as his shoulder drove into the wall.

Nick seized the opportunity and roundhouse kicked the staff out of his opponent's hands before delivering a hard right fist. He nodded towards Raven, who had taken the knife from Miguel and held it tightly in her fist.

She took Phoenix's wrist and plunged the knife into it. The microchip started beeping as a small crackle was heard and sparks started flying everywhere.

The HUD display on Phoenix's flashed the words "SYSTEM FAILURE!" as the microchip started to overheat. Smoke started coming out of Phoenix's ears as he fell to the ground and shook, screaming in agonizing pain. This system will self destruct in T-minus 10... 9...

Nick quickly led Raven and his uncle out of the room while the system kept counting down.

3... 2... 1...

A small spurt of beeps followed by an explosion could be heard behind them as the trio took cover behind a wall.

Raven held onto Nick and looked at him. "We did it," she said before planting a soft kiss onto his lips. She then looked over at Miguel.

A voice could be heard coming from the commander's ear-piece. "Commander Santiago, come in." Miguel switched his ear-piece to a stronger channel and replied, "This is Santiago."

"We have the enemy commander in custody near the main entrance and are awaiting your orders." The ISA's surviving agents were encircling him and closing in on him with their weapons.

Miguel looked at Nick and Raven then gave them a nod. All three of them headed for the main entrance... but then something went wrong.

A cloud of smoke could be seen from the distance, followed by the sound of a car starting. The trio raced through the fog and made their way to the main entrance.

The AAO commander had escaped, although the ISA's squad managed to mount a tracking device onto the back door of his vehicle before he could drive away. A note was found on the ground with the words: "Hoc enim iustum est initio."

Nick picked up the slip of paper and read it before translating it using the Google Translate app on his phone. He then showed the translated phrase to his uncle.

Latin: Hoc enim iustum est initio.
English: This is just the beginning.

Miguel looked around the room at everyone. "Agents... today was a hard fought battle. And we managed to eliminate the AAO's threat. For 2 whole months, we were one step closer to The Walking Dead. But we will soon face an even bigger threat..." He looked at Nick and Raven. "With that being said, I am appointing Agent Striker and Agent Gonzales as second and third in command of this agency."

Nick and Raven looked at each other and intertwined their fingers together, but Nick grimaced in pain as he felt the sting of his wound. "Commander, we won't let you down," Raven said proudly.

"I know you won't... but I have a feeling Nick might," he replied before chuckling lightly. "Agents... let's get back to headquarters."

Nick smirked at Miguel's remark and walked out with Raven as they followed the agents and Commander Santiago towards their vehicles. One by one, the vehicles pulled out of the parking lot and started driving back towards their HQ in National City.