Chapter 17

Robin Lang was bent over in front of the tall man dressed in black. He was naked from the waist down, his buttocks still stinging from the thin cane Master had just thrown to the floor. The man pushed Robin even lower with one hand on his back, then thrust into him, his fingers digging painfully into his hips, his plasfoam mask shining palely in the dim light. He rode him hard and fast, their breath harsh and panting in the small room ... and that was only the beginning.

Lang pushed the memory of their last encounter back firmly into the secret compartment of his mind.

He purchased a cheap wristcom that he would dispose of as soon as he finished, and sent a message through to the anonymous number he used to contact Master. He apologised for missing their last appointment, and asked if they could meet at the Sahara some time in the next few days. Now he had to wait for the reply. It could come any time between a minute and a day later. It was always Lang who contacted the other man first, and only a few times a year, when he was on Capella for more than a day or so.

It was like a drug. He both desired and dreaded their encounters. He found himself quivering with anticipation beforehand and excruciatingly ashamed of himself afterwards ‒ each time swearing that it would be the last. It was a desperate need that he had to fill, a need he had been able to suppress while he had been married, but which had become stronger and stronger since his wife's death.

He didn't know what he would do if Master turned out to be the one of the men who had assaulted Max. He only knew he would have to deal with it by himself.

The call came later that night. He would meet him at the Sahara the very next evening.

~~~

Captain Almeida was disappointed, but hardly surprised to receive Banner's notice that he would be leaving the Qatar. Generously, he told him he could stay until he got another job and they could work out a mutually agreeable transfer date. He was astounded when Stewart came and told him he would be leaving as well.

"Are you sure, Alan? I've always thought you could make Captain if you put your mind to it."

"Thank you, sir, but yes, I think it's time for me to move on. I'm nearly forty and if I ever want to have a ... a personal life, I need a career change. I've got by, like most of the men on the ship, with short-term relationships, but now I want something more. And I think I might have a chance at it."

He didn't realise how his face softened when he thought of Banner.

Almeida tried to step carefully. "You don't think he's too young?"

Stewart flushed.

"I was thinking of you," the Captain hastened to explain. "I wouldn't want you to throw away your career for someone who might not want, er, the same level of commitment that you do. He's only twenty four. What if it doesn't last?"

"I've considered that, sir." Stewart was still red, uncomfortable at having such a personal conversation with his Captain. "But it hasn't changed my mind."

Almeida sighed. "I hope he appreciates that he's taking away my best officer! Have you thought about what you might do?"

"Yes, sir. I'm going to approach Colonel Young, see if there's a position for me on Capella at headquarters. If not, I'll try Wallaroo on Moonta, work my way through the planet patrols if I have to. At least Michael's job is flexible. I expect most places would be happy to have him."

"Good luck, Alan. I really hope it works out for you," the Captain rose and shook his hand, adding, "Just, please be discreet while you're still on board?"

"Of course, sir. Thank you."

The Lieutenant left with mixed emotions. He would miss the Qatar, but he was looking forward to being with Banner, wherever they ended up. He had two days leave on Capella and would spend most of it at headquarters lining up his next job, but what he was really focussed on was the chance that Banner might be able to get the time off as well.

They would have separate rooms in the hotel, of course, but this would be the first time they would have the opportunity to start a kiss and not have to rush off somewhere. He was going to take the physical side of their relationship very slowly. Banner's last relationship had left deep scars and he was prepared to be gentle and patient. They were going to be together, there was no need to rush. He could hardly wait.

~~~

Robin Lang waited in the Sahara with bleak determination, a black scarf covering his face. A soon as he had heard Max's description of his assailant's voice, 'a low husky drawl', he was almost certain that the man he called 'Master' and the one who had wanted to rape Max were the same person. He could barely feel the two small stunners, one strapped just above each ankle, but he was extremely conscious of their presence. He had preset one to 'stun' and one to 'kill'. He still hadn't decided which one he would use.