Chapter 10

Chapter 10 

Okay, that went well, Banner thought wryly as he strode out of the hotel. Next stop, Captain Martinez. He hoped he'd be more reasonable. 

Martinez at least heard him out politely. Although he gave him the stock reply about how investigations were continuing, Banner had no clue as to how seriously his arguments had been taken. Feeling discouraged, he wondered if he was the only person who wasn't already convinced Alan was guilty. 

He would have been greatly cheered to hear he wasn't alone. Captain Almeida was relieved his First Lieutenant had finally pulled himself together and was presenting a coherent story. He went straight to Martinez and asked several pointed questions about the rather surprising absence of either DNA or damage found on Stewart's hands given Max's extensive injuries and the progress being made finding witnesses. Martinez assured him blandly that they were pursuing several lines of inquiry. Almeida looked at him sharply, suddenly realizing that none of his arguments could be news to the Patrol Captain. Either Martinez had more evidence he hadn't disclosed or he was quite happy to have Stewart in custody as camouflage while he pursued the real culprits. He could only hope it was the latter. 

"I don't believe Stewart's guilty and I need him back," he told Martinez firmly. "I've arranged for Major Tremblay to represent him and given the Major's reputation I suspect that means he'll be out shortly, even if he's confined to the Qatar. Just giving you advance warning," he smiled tightly. 

"I appreciate it Captain," Martinez replied, unsmilingly. "But we have an eye witness. Captain Lang himself saw his son leave the bar with Stewart."  

"Captain Lang?" Almeida stared at him in disbelief. 

"Apparently he was passing, saw his son enter the club and followed him in to check up on him. He saw the boy leave the bar with Stewart to go into one of the rooms at the back. He let them go because he says he didn't want to make a scene. Now of course he's furious with himself."  

"And you believe him?" queried Almeida sceptically. 

"What reason would he have to lie?" 

The Captain didn't have an answer to that. 

"I can think of several!" thought Banner to himself when he heard the news. He had asked for a meeting with the Captain to discuss the case, he was so worried about Alan. "It could simply be that he made a mistake, Captain," he said aloud. "If the man was masked, how could he possibly be sure it was Alan? He might have seen a tall man, but it was someone else."  

Captain Almeida regarded him thoughtfully. 

Banner continued, "As far as I'm concerned that part can be explained. What no-one has managed to explain to me so far is why on Earth Lieutenant Stewart would attack Private Lang in the first place! It seems completely out of character. And even if he'd gone psychotic for a moment, how is Alan supposed to have beaten up Private Lang with no injuries to his hands? Even if he'd worn gloves there would have been significant bruising!" 

"I'll convey your concerns to Major Tremblay," the Captain assured him. He contemplated his Medical Officer for a moment, he hadn't missed the fact that Banner had referred to Stewart by his first name more than once. "No luck I suppose, in tracing Lieutenant Stewart's companion for that evening?" he asked delicately. 

The loss of colour in the other man's face convinced him he was on the right track. Fuck. Good medics were hard to find. Banner's eyes flew to his. "Uh, sir- "  

The Captain held up a hand to stop him. "Don't apologise, I realise it's probably an impossible task. I'm sure Private Lang will regain consciousness soon and tell us what really happened." 

"Yes sir," Banner replied with heartfelt relief. For a minute there he'd thought the Captain suspected him. 

Major Tremblay lived up to his reputation and had Lieutenant Stewart released into his Captain's parole by the end of that day. To his immense relief he was transported back to the Qatar and allowed to resume his duties under Almeida's supervision. Almeida was content to take his word that he would remain confined to the ship. 

Michael Banner waited several impatient hours before permitting himself to visit the Lieutenant in his quarters. He wanted to throw himself into the other man's arms, hug him hard to make sure he was alright, but he held back. It was hardly appropriate given their current circumstances and besides, Alan had probably had enough of young men throwing themselves at him. 

Stewart told himself he was glad Banner settled for a handshake.  

When he'd returned to the blessed privacy of his own quarters he had allowed himself a brief fantasy where he picked Banner up bodily, carried him into his bedroom, took his clothes off slowly and kissed every intimate inch of his body until he begged him to ...  

And then he packed it all away. He was in no position to make advances to anyone at present, let alone someone with Banner's history or current circumstances. He'd been more accurate than he dreamt when he'd called Banner untouchable. Their relationship was over before it had really started, but they could still be friends, he told himself, the physical attraction was certain to die down soon if he didn't encourage it.  

He poured them both a beer and sat down. "So. What's been happening then?" 

Banner gave him a doubtful look. "Have you heard about Captain Lang?" 

The Lieutenant froze for a moment. He made himself take a sip of beer before he spoke, keeping his voice even. "No. What about Captain Lang?" 

"He says he was there in the Sahara Club and saw you go into the back with Max." Banner didn't hold back. 

Alan choked as the beer went down the wrong way. Coughing and wiping his streaming eyes he croaked out, "Robin was in the Sahara?

"He says he was passing and saw Max go in so he followed him," Banner explained. 

Alan raised disbelieving eyebrows. 

"It doesn't sound very likely does it?" the other man agreed. "Do you think he was actually following Max for some reason?" 

"That sounds more probable," admitted Stewart, relieved. It was certainly much more probable than the wild thought that had flashed into his head for a millisecond, that Robin had been in the Sahara looking for male sex!

"He evidently saw him with his assailant and thought it was you, because of the height." Banner continued. 

"Well that makes his accusations a bit more understandable," conceded Stewart, "But I still think he should have spoken to me first, before condemning me in public."  

"Yes, I thought he was supposed to be your friend." 

"Parent first, friend a long way second I'm afraid," Stewart gave a wry grimace. "Can I ask you a favour Michael?" 

Banner gave him a rather wary look. "Yes?" 

What did he think he was going to ask him? "Would you visit Max for me? I can't leave the ship until I'm cleared." 

"Of course," Banner agreed, relaxing immediately. "I'll go this afternoon, I've been wanting to have a professional look at him and have a chat to his doctor." 

"Thank you! I'd be very grateful." 

'In that case, I'll get going." Banner stood up. "I'll come and see you when I get back Alan - uh, sir."  

Alan showed him out and poured himself another beer. Think of him in nappies, he thought, that works with Max. When I was sixteen, Michael would have been a cute little baby in nappies.