Eleven

"How are we gonna get them out?" Evie voiced my thoughts to Luther.

     Ignoring her, Luther zoned himself out, likely trying to come up with a solution. He brought out his walkie-talkie. "Adrian?" he said.

     "Yeah?"

     "Are you guys okay?"

     "We're fine, we're fine. We just need to get out. D'you know how?"

     "Not yet, but we'll get through it."

     "Good luck."

     I'd have thought Adrian would give out orders on a solution he had conjured up in his mind already. It was surprising that he left the thinking to one adult and two children, though me and her —especially her— wouldn't qualify as the typical clueless child from before the zeds came about. 

     After a few moments, I offered, "Should we just lead the zeds away?"

     "What?" Luther asked bewildered.

     "You know, use the car to get their attention. And then go back to them once the coast is clear."

     "They'd follow the sound of the car," Evie piped up.

     I shrugged. "Then we abandon the car."

     "Are you insane?" Evie looked at me with repulsion. It only fit that she fell into her brother's footsteps with his enemies. I sure was one of them. She hadn't been playing nice with me from day one, though, but has been especially nasty and avoiding ever since Adrian had started resenting me more.

     "It's not such a bad idea," Luther said, contemplating. "That is if we're careful and don't drive off too far for the walk back to the police station to be too dangerous."

     "Yeah, that would be perfect," I replied. "They took two cars, so we can just squeeze in with them when we're done."

     "So we're going to get hundreds of zeds eyes on us? We're going to voluntarily be the target? That's crazy," Evie said.

     "Well, that's happened to me before. Not voluntarily, though," I replied, distaste dripping from my words. Reminiscing what happened at the mall wasn't exactly great. Seeing all those hungry gazes, those grabby hands, those bared teeth aiming to sink into my flesh. It wasn't great that those zeds appeared in my dreams, that I imagined them everywhere I went. I didn't like being left alone anymore. Not since the people in my own team could eventually betray me once more, and next time, I doubt I'd be so lucky to survive. 

     Evie lowered her head in response, her eyes on the passenger seat, probably going over her thoughts. She let out a sigh moments afterwards which signalled that she had come to a conclusion. Looking between both me and Luther, she asked, "You really think that'll work?"

     We both nodded, not that we were asking her permission or anything. It was just good to have everyone on board with the plan. I especially wouldn't want to be on her bad side. I didn't need her hating me more than she already did.

     It was planned out which directions we'd take, where we'd stop, and how we'd return to the police station. The zeds' movement was slow, so the car also had to be slow so that we didn't leave their sights.

     "Should we go, then?" Luther asked. Evie and I nodded in response.

     This plan was terrifying, to say the least, knowing how many things could go wrong. The list was endless. However, there was pretty much no other way to get the rest out of that building safely without getting the zeds out of the picture first.