Chapter 4: Ready Set Go

Authors note: I can't  believe I have had nearly 100 reads! Please please please vote and comment on how to improve! I changed my cover as well, what do you think?? Thank you again xo

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There were those pure few seconds when they woke up, when they didn't know where they were. They didn't remember all the bad things that had happened only a few hours ago.

Then it hit them.

Kelly looked around and started to scream helplessly in panic. She struggled against something firm behind her back. It was dark and they could feel the cold winter air surrounding them.

Soon they realised they were tied onto separate trees.

Max groaned in pain, trying to slip his hands through the knots.

Claire wheezed as she struggled against the tree.

"Oh hey guys." Chris appeared out of the shadows, his face half lit by a lantern.

"Let us go!" Kelly screamed, "what are you going to do to us?" she whimpered.

"Be quiet!" Chris shouted, they all became still and silent as he approached them.

"We have brought you here to have fun!" He said sternly, as another three men approached behind him. 

"Where is my baby!" Claire screamed in realisation, "where is she?"

"Now now Claire, we thought your little baby was too young to participate, so we have given her some alone time in our den." Chris leaned in close to her face, "she's safe inside."

"She won't be okay, she needs food-"

"What did I say about being quiet!" He shouted and spat in her face.

Claire quickly cleaned her face against her shoulder, whipping the tears and spit off her face.

"So lets get down to business." He barked, "why are you here? Why right now? Well I'll tell you why."  He walked over to max.

"You are all here for our annual game."

"Wha-?" Kelly started to exclaim.

"Now here are the rules of the game." Chris bellowed, "we will let you free."

The three looked up in a puzzled state, trying to take everything in.

"But you will have to hide." Confusion settled amongst them.

"You will have 5 hours to run and hide. When we find one of you, we will kill the baby. When we find another, we will kill the person we found first. And so on."

Claire started to cry in horror.

"So I wouldn't advise hiding together." He laughed.

Silent whimpering and crying echoed from the gathering.

"However." Chris called, "If we do not find you within 3 days, you can come back to the hut and we will drive you back."

"Any questions?" He asked.

"Where is my husband?" Claire choked.

"Oh him! Well we found him walking along the path and he agreed to come with us. However we decided to tell him about the game earlier and he is already hiding."

"When do we start?" Claire looked up.

"Oh I'm thinking right now." Chris looked around to the three other men who all nodded in agreement.

"Can at least have a few minutes to discus?" Claire hesitantly asked.

Chris huffed and started to walk towards the hut.

"You have 10 minuets and then its go time." Chris said as and the other three walked back into the hut.

The three hesitantly waited till the men walked into the hut.

"Mum what do we do?" Max quickly whispered whilst whipping his tears, "where should we hide?"

"We just need to find Dad, he won't be far from here. Then we figure out a plan to go back to the car." Claire tried to calm her breath to a normal pace.

"But the car has no fuel." Kelly reminded them.

"No but inside the hut there is fuel." Claire said.

"They could of been lying." Max suggested.

"Okay new plan." Claire huffed, "We find dad and just run. We run and  don't stop till we either find somewhere or at least till the 3 days is over so they can take us back." Claire stated.

"What about the baby?" Kelly said.

"Oh god." Claire cried angrily, hitting her head back on to the tree behind her.

"We could sneak in?" Max suggested.

"No okay." Claire brought herself together, "we just run and when its been three days we turn back and they will give her to us."

Suddenly the door opened. It had been not even 1 minute.

"Times up ." He came over and looked down sympathetically .

The three men approached the trees and quickly started to cut the knots tying the hands of the family.

They slowly got up and stretched their arms.

"Ready?"

They looked at each other, wondering whether to run.

"Set." Chris chuckled.

"Go!"

The three started walking in the same direction.

"Well? RUN!" Chris shouted impatiently.

Claire looked at Kelly and Max for the second time and nodded to them.

They ran and didn't look back.