Chapter Forty-One

In the days that followed that first night in the woods, May made a conscious effort to throw herself into her new surroundings. Any concerns she had about not being cut out for life on the mainland were dwarfed by her worry that Em had knowingly walked them into a potentially dangerous situation. Em could claim they were safe as much as she wanted, but May was a worrier at heart. In response, she did whatever she could to busy herself to distraction.

Stephanson had struck a bargain with them; Em and May were welcome to stay in the headquarters' dorms and even earn a bit of money if they agreed to help out while they were there. For Em this had meant jumping back into her old role, but for May it had meant training, learning the ropes, and stepping out of her comfort zone.

She was able to apply some of her existing skills right away. Hours were spent under the hoods of team vehicles doing routine maintenance and repairs with Matti, who appreciated the company and conversation. At one point during a slow morning in the garage, Karin overheard May offhandedly mentioned that her mother was Omea's longest standing midwife. In her life pre-scandal, May had spent time apprenticing at her side until expectant mothers in town had become uncomfortable by her presence. But Karin saw only opportunity in her story and dedicated some of her downtime to teaching May first aid.

"Damn, you learn fast!" Karin exclaimed. "I wish everyone I trained picked up on things as quickly as you do. Keep this pace up and I'll be able to bring you on calls with me before you head home!"

May was sure Karin was just being nice, but the encouragement filled her with pride nonetheless.

When Dom found out Em had taken May on her first ever camping trip (a story during which both women left out their favourite part and instead shared a private, knowing smile) he became hell bent on making sure she had all kinds of unique experiences out in the mountain wilderness. He taught May basic tracking skills and about the local wildlife.

"I've never seen anything like this before," May whispered excitedly one afternoon as they watched a great bear lumber through the trees from a safe distance. "Is it dangerous?"

"They sure can be," Dom admitted. "You just have to give them plenty of space; don't sneak up on them or get between them and their babies or food. And, like, be prepared obviously. Bear spray is a must."

May eyed the animal's massive clawed paws and shuddered at the thought of making a creature like that angry.

Dom noticed and patted her on the shoulder. "Bears are nothing. Just hope you never run into a mountain lion. Those bastards will track you through the woods if you let your guard down and they always mean business."

May was sure to stay very close for the rest of the hike.

But her education included far more than mountain survival and lifesaving skills.

Since Em first revealed she was half-Star, May had been curious about how she had managed to make use of her abilities during her time working with the Tenna SAR team without anyone raising any concerns. After all, Em may not have considered her skills to be magical, but May was sure she wasn't the only one who disagreed.

Em had once told her the mainland was a place of many different sorts of people and creatures. It was as if she thought that diversity was somehow enough to excuse her supernatural ability to defy gravity and manipulate energy.

Then again, May had also thought Em's offhand mentions of witches and forest spirits during the argument with Welkin had been her way of pushing the Star's patience.

She couldn't have been more wrong.

Tenna was small but lively, and home both permanent and temporary to more than just people. May was suddenly grateful for early exposure to Em's otherworldly nature – it helped her adjust to being surrounded by equally fantastical creatures and magically inclined beings.