Chapter Fifty-One

[Content Warning: Strong language]

"I'm done listening to everyone argue because of me," May said, turning back to her family and to Em. She walked up to her sister feeling numb, her expression blank. With a gentle kiss, she's handed Omi back to Ora. "I'm going home."

Her blunt statement took everyone off guard. May was already stepping out the door by the time anyone even thought to move.

"May, wait!" Her mother called after her.

Em broke past the others and followed May out into the early evening air. She hurried down the stairs and grabbed for May's hand.

"Hey, hang on," she huffed, pulling May back to face her. "Are you okay?"

Something about May's expression–or perhaps it was the lack thereof–made Em take a step back.

"Please," May said, her voice low. "I think I need to be alone right now."

"But-"

"Em," she was begging now. "Please, just... I have a lot to think about."

May gave Em's hand a firm squeeze before turning back to the street and walking away. Shaking off her surprise, Em went to follow her when a hand on her shoulder drew her back.

"Let her go." It was Kai, speaking softly as he watched his sister stride off into the dusk.

"After what just happened in there?" Em shook her head. "Not a chance. I need to–"

"You need to give her some space," Kai interjected. "She's not wrong – she does have a lot to think about."

Em frowned up at him, lips pursed and heart unconvinced. Kai stepped in the opposite direction May was headed and gestured for her to follow. "Come on. I need to talk to you anyway."

A short walk later found the two of them climbing onto bar stools at a restaurant overlooking the water. Em stared numbly out at the waves while Kai signaled for the bartender.

"I've really fucked things up for her, haven't I?" she mumbled. It didn't seem to matter which way she looked at it - Em couldn't help but think of her presence as a colossal interference in May's life.

Kai shook his head. "Nah. You've changed things, yes. But, honestly? It was about time."

Em peered at him skeptically so he continued.

"May needed something to happen," he said with a shrug. "You weren't wrong when you said the life she was living was a joke. But you need to understand, it might look bad but my family really has been trying to make things better for her."

It took a lot for Em to keep her expression neutral, the lingering sting of the slap she received posing an extra challenge.

"It just seems kind of messed up," she admitted. "Most of the people in this place treat her like garbage and the moment she starts to take her life into her own hands, her family acts like she's some little kid who broke the rules. She's a grown woman and she deserves to have a say over her own happiness."

Kai groaned, rubbing his eyes and looking incredibly exhausted.

"Em, it's complicated."

"Are you planning on demystifying it for me?"

"Well, well. Look who's back." Both Em and Kai looked up with surprise. Standing on the other side of the bar, a frosty bottle of beer in each hand, was Lenaia. "I wasn't sure you were going to come back to be honest." She gave a curt nod to Kai and put the bottles down, glancing around. "May's not here, is she?"