Chapter 18

Saturday rolled around warm and sunny which meant that Kate had to break out the swimsuit she had bought for Lily's luau. She was going with Lee, who said he would pick her up with just enough time to get there. He had mentioned the possibility of arriving late and leaving early, which was fine with Kate.

Lee had returned to the apartment above the garage after his friends had left, but they had had dinner together every night and they had ridden to and from the ranch together on Thursday. He hadn't kissed her again and she didn't know if she should be upset or relieved about it. She wanted him to kiss her, but she was afraid if he did that neither one of them would be able to stop with just a kiss.

She couldn't deny that she had been having fun with Lee. He made her laugh and managed to keep her memories from straying to the dark places where they tended to go the first few weeks of July.

Kate looked at her reflection in the mirror. She wasn't bad for a thirty-three-year-old. She had pulled her hair back into a slick ponytail and she had opted for no makeup so her freckles were very prominent where they covered her nose and cheeks. She had always hated her freckles, but she knew makeup was pointless at a pool party, especially if she planned to do any swimming. Her black one piece was a classic that made her petite form look slim. She had wrapped a red sarong around her waist and had on read flip flops for a dash of color.

The knock on the backdoor told her her time was up as she grabbed her large bag that held all that was needed for a day of fun in the sun. She had grown up in a beach town so she knew what to pack and how to keep it light.

When she opened the door Lee was leaning against the doorjamb as he looked at his phone, but as soon as he saw her he pocketed the phone and smiled as he let his gaze drift from the tips of her bright red toenails to her tamed hair.

"You look lovely Kate," he said as he held out his arm.

Locking the door behind her she took his arm and let him lead her to the truck where he waited patiently for her to settle into her seat.

Kate had noticed that he was wearing long swim trunks that reached just above his knee, covering the angry red scar, and a loose t-shirt. She had to admit that she was sorry it wasn't one of his tighter ones. His feet were in flip flops as well but his looked much more expensive than her cheap ones.

"Nice flip flops." She noted as he climbed into the truck.

"Thanks, I spend a lot of time on the beach so I have a few pairs."

Kate nodded. "I grew up in a beach town so I used to have a nice collection myself."

"Let me guess, you out grew them." He grinned.

Kate returned his smile before changing the subject. "Something like that. I hope the food is good, I'm starving."

Lee looked at her oddly before he jumped on her conversation change and they spent the rest of the journey discussing some of the different party's they had been to over the years. It sounded to Kate as if Lee had been to a few crazy ones in his time.

"You don't drink so what do you do at these wild parties, and why are you even going to them?" Kate was curious. This was the most that he had talked about himself and she was eager to find out a little bit more.

"My friends like to party hard sometimes. It's a way that they can relieve stress. I tag along from time to time, especially if were a small group in a foreign country. There is always safety in numbers. Plus, everyone is always guaranteed a designated driver if I'm along for the ride." He turned down the drive to the ranch, pulling into a parking spot. The place was packed.