Chapter Nine

The King Alpha's grip along my hand was like the whip of a flame; warm and yet biting at my flesh overwhelmingly

The King Alpha's grip along my hand was like the whip of a flame; warm and yet biting at my flesh overwhelmingly. Something stirred under my skin as it recognized his presence and it was unnerving to say the least. I was distracted by it and at the same time I was extremely distracted by him.

It was the first time I'd seen him since he "marked" me. Something about him seemed more radiant than ever before and yet where I used to have trouble keeping my eyes on him, now I struggled to look away. His muscles were taut with suppressed anger as he tugged me along behind him, the heat of it pulsing through him visibly. I could sense him in a way I couldn't sense the other shapeshifters. He was raw power and it was like a lullaby to that power within me. It called to me in a way the light of a flame calls to the cold and weary, and I was drawn despite being aware of the danger and the doom that would follow if I got too close.

I felt in a daze until he suddenly released me momentarily.

"You've spelled me!" I accused him quite abruptly, causing him to pause mid-stride. I looked up and away from him, recognizing my surroundings immediately. He had pulled me to his house and back into his room without my notice. My accusation was all but confirmed.

"Did I?" He said simply, digging through his belongings until he removed bandages from them. I frowned, surprised but also suspicious. When he turned to me, he added in the most unconcerned yet all-knowing tone, "Why do you think that?"

A blush of embarrassment caught me. As if I would tell him that I just spent the entire trip here staring at him and his... everything.

Without missing a beat, the King Alpha pushed me just enough to make me stumble. I sat on the edge of the bed to steady myself and glared at him in response. And then I widened my eyes with surprise when he kneeled in front of me, reaching for my injured hand once more but much gentler this time around. My heart thudded painfully as he began to clean the bloodied wound on my palm.

"I didn't do anything to you. Many wolves have tried to mark others and all have failed. If the Mother truly cared for you, she wouldn't have blessed you," He spat the word as if it was the opposite of a blessing; a curse. And for that moment, I truly felt the same. When he finished wrapping my hand, he turned those cold steel eyes on mine dangerously. "And now we'll both suffer from her blessing if only to cause her pain, too."

He all but announced that he knew I would die from the mark.

"What do you mean 'we'll both suffer'?" I asked, my voice shaking slightly.

"As I said before, an injury to you is an injury to me," He told me, his voice low with growing bitterness. "When you go, I will feel it, but the pain I've felt because of those deities is worse than any pain you'll cause me. It will be worth it."

"Why do you hate me so much?" I abruptly whispered, the unfairness of it all suddenly too much in that moment. I felt the sting of tears in my eyes and tensed, steeling myself from allowing this monster to see me cry. I shifted the sadness and self-pity into anger and resolved myself to glaring at the King Alpha.