Chapter Seventeen

Once the adrenaline of my latest challenge had worn off, my world became one of intense agony and confusion. I may have also tried to attack any wolf who stepped forward to help me, mostly because I felt more unsafe than I had ever felt before.

Did I really just force my way into being Queen Luna? Why did it matter to me if some random chick took the spot? My only goal was to stop Roman from whatever plans he had against the human race. That didn't mean I had to go this far, did it?

Anyway, Diana had been the one to bring me back down to reality. With a quick jab to my side, the pain was so sharp that I may have fainted. To me, it felt more like a warped blink in which one second I was in the arena and in the next I was back in a clinic setting.

"Don't move, Mila," Diana's voice sang to me softly, but the pain that followed didn't request the same from me. I realized I was on my stomach, the fabric of the bed sheet pressed against my face, with Diana above me doing who knew what that felt like flames on my back.

I immediately began to attempt an escape.

"Can you hold her?" Diana requested from someone else in the room. Two firm hands gripped my upper arms from behind, pinning me forcefully against the bed. Despite the sharp pain on my shoulder, I froze at the touch, feeling the spark in Roman's hands as they held me.

"Let me go," I snarled, my voice strained in pain.

"Your wounds aren't healing like a wolf," Roman responded stiffly. Diana moved over my flesh sharply, sending a sickening wave of pain throughout me. I groaned, tightening my hands into fist and clenching my mouth shut to suppress a scream.

"Almost done, Mila," Diana cooed as though I were a child.

"I'll kill you," I threatened in response, though the threat lacked true conviction.

"Oh, that's not nice," She sighed before continuing, sending a renewed wave of pain through me. I struggled against Roman's grip, trying to move away from whatever it was Diana was doing to me. Besides the pain across my back and shoulder, there were other aches and sharp pains throughout me. My lungs seemed to scream with each breath, so I was unable to take a deep breath needed to cry out as I wanted to.

"Okay, all done with that, just need to bandage you up. King Alpha, can you help her to sit up for me?" Diana asked Roman with a lofty voice of pleasant innocence as though she weren't just torturing me moments before.

Roman released his grip on my arms and instead began to grasp my elbow to help me begin to sit up. I winced painfully, following their request most obediently, before noticing that I was entirely shirtless. I looked down briefly and then yelped in alarm, crossing my arms over my chest before glaring at Roman.

"Look away, you pervert!" I demanded of him immediately.

Roman had a look of someone in an out of body experience, confused and not seeming to see the problem at hand. Then he slowly rolled his eyes before turning around to face the opposite direction as me.

I turned to Diana, who stood with fabric ready in her hand, her mouth opened in surprise as she had watched the interaction with amusement. I glared at her until she noticed and jumped.

"Right, lift your arms. The alpha can help you if you need him to," Diana said, a smile on her face despite herself. I grumbled, but lifted my arms myself with difficulty. It seemed harder to breath with my arms lifted, as though the weight on my lungs was too much. Diana began to wrap the fabric around my torso carefully, keeping it loose enough to not apply pressure to my abdomen which would no doubt make it even harder to breathe.