29

* this story is not mine *

His name is Kevin, and he lives in the air vent on the ceiling above your bed. That's where his parents put him long ago, and that's where he stayed. No need to worry; Kevin is quiet, and has no intention of waking you while you sleep. He just likes to watch you lay there, hugging your pillow as the soft glow of the television set illuminates your body. Kevin enjoys looking at your body.

Oh yes, yes he does.

Kevin also likes the way you smell. When you are pressed up against your sheets on them hot and humid nights you begin to sweat and the moisture on your skin evaporates, dispersing the scent of your musk. Your fumes rise up into the air, where Kevin inhales you. But don't look up- Kevin doesn't like when you look at him. Kevin's parents didn't like when other people looked at Kevin either. They didn't like it when kids would point and stare.

And it is too dark anyway, and you aren't even wearing your glasses. If you do look up, you will barely be able to make out his features through the rungs of the air vent anyway, and he will not acknowledge that you know that he is there.

He will simply wait, and stare...

And you will stare back at him, as you have many nights before. But the lights are off and it is dark in your room. You can't see Kevin, but Kevin can see you. Unsettled, you will dismiss the idea that something is up there. Soon enough you'll forget about it. And when you shake away the uncomfortable feeling you have you will manage to fall back to sleep with your head tucked firmly beneath your covers and your eyes tightly shut.

Then, wrapped up like a mummy, you will rest. But Kevin doesn't like this.

Kevin wants to see your face. He wants to see your flesh, which is so much prettier and healthier than his. He wants to see your perfectly formed eyes, nose, and lips because it makes Kevin forget about his own grotesque deformities.