.chapter nine.

"Okay," he finally said.

"Really?" Her face lit up, a light shining in her pale eyes. Ice, they reminded him of ice. Jon nodded his head. "Thank you!" She exclaimed, forgetting they were supposed to be quiet and threw herself at him, arms wrapping around his neck.

Jon nearly lost his balance, but after steadying himself, he knelt there awkwardly while she hugged him.

"It's okay, you know," she mumbled against his cloak. "To hug me, I don't mind it."

Slowly, still uncertain of if he should, Jon wrapped his arms around her, hugging her back.

The unicorn had been frightened away, but not by them. Ghost had returned after venturing off on his own, the fur on his back standing up as he stared off into a direct.

Jon quickly jumped to his feet, pulling her with. "They'll be returning soon, we need to get back."

Hand in his still, Rhaella hurried along, "Come Ghost," she called out for the white wolf. Whipping around, he hurried after them.

"Where's the horse?" Rhaella questioned when Jon suddenly stopped. She was certain they hadn't gone far and that this had been the very same log Jon had tied the horse to. "Did you not tie the reins properly?"

Jon ignored her, kneeling down in the light layer of snow for some sort of a sign. He found it, what he had been looking for. Paw prints just as large as Ghost's.

Robb, he stood up, turned to grab her arm and hurried along the path they took.

"What is it?" She asked, struggling to keep up. "I can't run in this!"

Jon stopped and turned around to face her, "If you want to get back to Winterfell before the others, you will find a way."

She could read the urgency in his eyes and knew that something must of happened, something not good for either of them. Nodding her head curtly, Rhaella kept one hand in his and with the other she hiked up her skirts.

"I trust you," she told him.

"Perhaps, for my sake, you should stop."

They had made it back, but Jon realized it had not been in time. Although they barely missed the hunting party, he saw that they had not missed Robb. Beside his horse stood Jon's, tack still on.

"Go to your chamber," he whispered to her. "And after today, we can never see each other again."

Rhaella saw the horses and then turned to Jon, "Who's to say, you?" She laughed and then she sighed. "Would it please you?'

Jon looked at her, how was he to answer that? But then he didn't get to. A piercing how ripped through the air pulling their attention away from one another. Ghost perked his ears but made no sound.

"Something's wrong," Jon said, and then turning back to Rhaella, "Go to your chambers. They will returning any moment." And with that, he hurried away.

"I don't get what you see in him," Sansa Stark said the moment Rhaella ascended the steps to her chamber. The auburn haired girl stood at the head of the stairs, her blue eyes cold. "He's a bastard. Robb at least has much to offer."

"It's not all about lands and titles," Rhaella replied, continuing her climb. "And Jon is a friend. He is not trying to offer me anything more."

"People will talk."

"Let them," she said, coming up beside Sansa. "I don't give a damn what anyone has to say. The only reason I even matter is because I am a Lannister's ward."

"You should have more respect for them. They took you in, raised you up. The queen treats you like her own daughter. Yet here you are running around with my bastard brother, tarnishing their reputation."

"Would you think so highly of the queen if you knew?" She asked, a smile curving her lips.

"Knew what?"

"If she had it her way, your precious prince would be betrothed to me."

"Fortunately she can't have her way," Sansa replied, her blue eyes darkening.

"Fortunately," Rhaella replied. "I would throw myself from the tallest tower if she had."

"How dare you!" Sansa said, whirling around to face Rhaella since she had been walking away. "Any lady would be fortunate to marry the crowned prince. He's to be King some day!"

Rhaella snorted at Sansa's remark, of course any stupid girl would fantasize about Joffrey, they knew nothing about the crowned prince.

"I care little for crowns," she then said, turning to face Sansa. Her eyes fell past the auburn haired girl and her heart stopped.

Sansa turned, curious as to what could have caused all color to drain from Rhaella's face. She turned to look back at Rhaella before excusing herself and then hurried down the steps.

Robb came up the stairs, watching his sister until he could no longer see her and then turned to Rhaella. A low growling sound came from beside him, Grey Wind stood with his teeth bared and hair raised. She noticed Ghost had been in the same stance in front of her.

"He protects you," he said, his blue eyes on the wolf. "He's loyal to you." She said nothing and kept her eyes on the wolves. "I never thought these two would bare their fangs at one another, they're brothers after all, from the same little."

She remained silent, terrified that if she spoke, she would betray herself. Rhaella didn't want Robb to see that he was frightening her. She wanted to appear strong, like Cersei always did.

"I wish you'd come to me," his passive tone suddenly sounded soft and almost sad. "I know I can't make it better but I can try. We're to be wedded some day and I don't want you to feel like you're not safe in your own home."

"Ghost," she whispered softly, calling the white wolf back. He relaxed, his hair slowly laying back and turned to stand beside her. She looked up at Robb, "I'm sorry," she said to him, truly meaning it.

"I'm sorry too, I should have been there with you. How are you to feel safe if you can't even count on me?"

___________________

Robb in love is cute.
Sansa in love makes me want to push her down the stairs.
Jon in love is sad.
Rhaella in love is just ...