Chapter 2

But her twelfth birthday finally arrived. The anticipation and build-up only made it all the more sweet. Rowen said goodbye to dear, sweet Bit, the only mother she had ever known. It was sad. But underneath the sorrow was a current of excitement. By going to Great Hall, maybe somehow she could find out why someone had left her there. Something in her demanded that she find out about her past. After kissing her goodbye, Elizabeth waved to her from in front of her stone cottage. It had been decided days before that Rowen was to go by herself to Great Hall. Rowen knew why. Elizabeth wanted her to learn how to do things on her own. Rowen had another reason, twelve years ago, she had first been on Great Hall's steps alone, how fitting that she would go back alone. How many times had she envisioned this moment? And now it was here. She was staring at the huge doors of Great Hall. Using both hands she lifted the ornate knocker and let it all. The sound echoed through the hall beyond the doors. Then, there was nothing. Silence seemed to fall like a thick blanket that had smothered all sound. The sound of feet broke through the quiet. The door creaked open. A fourteen-year-old boy stood there. There was again a hush as Rowen's green eyes studied him and his hazel eyes studied her. He was tall and had a confident air about him. There was a bow over his back and a knife inside his boot. Then, Rowen became acutely aware of every detail his eyes saw, The red hair that Elizabeth had curled for her that morning. The smattering of freckles across the bridge of her nose. The white flower, a dog rose, she had tucked behind her ear seemed to burn her skin. Why had she put it on? It was so childish! She felt her cheeks redden.

The boy stopped his examination and said, "Well, hello. Who are you?" Rowen tried to answer, but only managed to get a curious look from the boy.

She cleared her throat. "Rowen. My name is Rowen."

"Mine is William. Rowen." He said it like it was a foreign word. "Is that not what they call the second cutting of hay?"

"Yes. That is when I was found."

"Found?"

"I was left on these steps twelve years ago."

"I see. But why are you back, now?"

"Is it not obvious? I am going to become a spy."

He laughed. "You cannot be serious. You are a girl!" Only a few moments ago Rowen had thought William nice. Someone she might want to get to know better. Now, she wasn't so sure.

She straightened and, with as much authority as she could muster, said, "I wish to speak to Edward."

William's right eyebrow shot up. "I do not think you quite understand what you are asking."

"He wanted me to come."

The other eyebrow joined the first. "Did he? Very well. Come inside, then. I shall get him." William disappeared down a side hallway. Rowen snatched the flower out of her hair. She glanced around for some place to get rid of it. The sound of footsteps in the hall made her drop it into a dark corner. Edward entered, but William was nowhere in sight. Again there was a moment as the pair examined one another. To Rowen's twelve-year-old eyes he seemed old, but he was only thirty-three. The same confidence that surrounded William was his companion as well. He, too, had weapons, knives in both his boots and a sword at his hip. An almost invisible scar ran the length of his jawline. Through everything about him demanded respect, his blue eyes hinted at kindness. Rowen found hope when she saw that.

"Rowen. That is what they call you, correct?"

"Yes."

He crouched down so that he was on her level. "Well, Rowen, I want us to see eye-to-eye. What you are about to do no other girl has ever done. Do you understand?" She nodded. "It shall be hard. There will be more tough times than easy. For two weeks, I am going to give you a taste of what you shall be doing. At the end of that time, you can give me a decision whether you want to stay here or go back to Elizabeth. If you agree to continue in one year's time, if your answer is still yes, then you shall have to swear an oath of fealty. Are we clear?"

"Perfectly."

"Good girl. I can imagine that this is all overwhelming. Stay focused, that is one of the things we teach our spies first. But come, I shall show you to your room."

In the following two weeks, Rowen proved she was a quick learner. She excelled at spotting little things that most people would miss or consider unimportant. But there were some things she struggled with, sword fighting for one. Edward made sure that you were paired off with some roughly close to your training level. The Apprentices against the Apprentices, the Beginners against the Beginners, and so on all the way up to the Masters. There were five Apprentices, including Rowen. These Apprentices were in their first year. The testing year as it was called. If they still wished to pursue the life of a spy at the end of this year they would swear the Oath. The Oath was a document that was talked about in mysterious tones by the Apprentices. Of course, none of them had seen it. All had different ideas of what the little details might be, but everyone agreed about the main idea. It was a contract that would keep you loyal to the King. It was that simple. The Apprentices were all younger than fifteen. John was the youngest at eleven, next came Rowen and Henry who were twelve, then thirteen-year-old Richard, and finally William who had just turned fourteen. At first, Edward paired Rowen with Henry, but when Henry defeated her with ease he had her spar with John. Much to her embarrassment she still struggled to win against her younger and smaller opponent. There were even times when John was the victor in their matches. Edward, after watching one such contest, signaled for Rowen to come over to him. Ashamed at having lost, Rowen made her way over to him.

"Rowen, do not become faint of heart. You were not made to sword fight. But you can learn. There is no technique behind John, and even Henry's, fighting, they use brute strength. Strength you cannot match. But if you were to fight a different sort of opponent one who relayed on style, not strength, perhaps you would find the difference amazing. William!"

"Yes, sir?" The boy appeared and tapped his chest with a closed fist, the typical greeting at Great Hall.

"I want you to sword fight with Rowen."

Hesitation crossed William's face. "Rowen, sir?"

"Yes, is there a problem?"

"No, sir." William wheeled and went back to retrieve his practice sword while Rowen did the same.

Edward stood to the side and said, "Set?" Both nodded and he said, "Spar!" William leaped forward with a grace that both John and Henry lacked. To both their astonishment Rowen parried the thrust. The fight continued like this until William switched to his strength and sooner overpowered Rowen.

Edward walked over to them. "Rowen, how did you know where his sword was going to be?"

"His eyes told me and how he placed his feet. I could see what move he was preparing to do and could get ready to defend it."

"William, you would do well to practice looking not where you intend your blow to land but elsewhere. It is a difficult skill, but once mastered you shall be a formidable foe with a sword." William gave a quick nod and hurried back to Richard, his former sparring partner.

Edward looked at his pupil. "So, Rowen, that was not so bad, was it?"

"No. It was actually quite thrilling."

"Good. But you can still learn from John. You cannot always choose your opponents, it is best to know how to defend everything. When you have mastered that, only then can you say you are truly prepared for anything."

"But how can one do that?"

"It is true, not many achieve that level. If any even do. But you must always strive for the unattainable, that way you are always learning. Do not ever think you have learned it all."

"I will be sure not too."

"Good girl. Now, go back to John, he too has much to learn.