Chapter 9:

I wake up the next morning by my alarm on my phone. I wake Justin up and tell him he needs to get ready. He leaves my room and I jump in the shower. After I shower, I grab my bag that's on my study table and go downstairs. Jack, Malcom and Justin are just about to leave. Jack in his car and Malcom and Justin in Malcolm's car. They wave at me as they exist the garage. I sit on the barstool and eat an apple.

"You ready?" Emmett says from behind me.

"I'm not coming to school with you today."

"Oh okay, I'm fetching Charlotte though." He says and that reminds me that I forgot to ask about their date.

"Oh yeah. I forgot to ask you how was your date?" 

Just as he's about to answer there's a knock on the door. He looks at me and raises his eyebrows. "I'll get it," he says. He walks to the door and opens it. I can see the shock on his face when he says, "Austin, hey. Come in." I try to hold my laugh in as I look at both there shocked faces. They walk into the kitchen and my brother gestures for Austin to sit on the other barstool so he does. My brother looks from me to Austin then back.

"Okay, I'm just going to ask it straight out, what the hell is going on with the two of you?" Emmett says.

I'm just about to reply when Austin smiles and says, "We're dating." I don't dare look at neither my brother nor Austin.

"What?!" Emmett screams.

I quickly say, "Before you get mad, Austin only asked my yesterday and I was going to tell you now but then he showed up."

"I don't even know what to say," Emmett says.

"If you want us to break up we will just tell us," Austin says to my surprise.

"No, no. You guys can't break up because of me. Just remember what I told you the other night though, Austin." Emmett says.

"I won't forget it, don't worry." Austin says.

"Okay, now that that's over. We need to go." I say then grab my bag and stand up. Austin follows my lead and we leave the house. Emmett locks the door behind us.

We get into Austin's car and start to drive. We stay in silence. Austin finally breaks the silence, "Are you free on Friday?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Umm... I know this is soon but I need you to meet my mother." He says, catching me by surprised. I can't say no because the whole reason that we're 'dating' is for me to meet his mother.

"Um.. okay." Then I says, "20 questions."

"Hmm"

"What happened to you lip?" I say. I noticed when he walked into the kitchen earlier that his lip is cut.

"I... I can't tell you."

"Why not?"

"Its personal," he says.

"So! What happened to my father is personal but I told you anyway!" I don't shout but he can tell that I'm angry.

"You won't understand." He says looking everywhere but at me.

"Try me."

"Fine. My mother punched me." He says and I'm surprised but he must have done something so I say, "Why?"

He shrugs. "What happened to your mother," he asks just as we arrive at school. "We'll have to finish this conversation later," he says.

I open the door and get out of the car. He comes to join me. As we walk I can feel people's eyes on us and the gossip about 'Austin's  fling'. I hate the attention but I don't really care about what they're saying. Austin notices that I'm on ease so he takes my hand and gently squeezes it then let's go and whispers, "Don't worry about them just ignore them." I nod.