Chapter Fourteen - Girlfriends

Dakota's Point of View

Two weeks had passed since the picnic. Yvonne was still refusing to talk to me, but Janet had stayed by my side. In showing my true feelings, I had lost one friend and strengthened my friendship with another. I guess it goes to show that Yvonne was never really my friend in the first place. Sure, it hurt to lose one of the only two 'real' friends I had, but I didn't want to spend time with someone who didn't except me for me.

I hadn't seen Alex since our date, but we spoke on the phone every night. The picnic was the sweetest, most romantic thing anyone had ever done for me. I wanted to return the gesture, but I was nowhere near that creative.

Francis and I sat on my bed talking about Alex – coming out seemed to have strengthened my relationship with my brother. Perhaps it was because we had something in common after all.

"What should I do?" I asked him, having just told him that I wanted to take Alex out on a date.

"I know this great restaurant." He said. "Girls love it there."

"How do you know that?"

"I've taken a girl there once or twice."

"Or ten billion times."

"You know me well, sister." He laughed. "You know me well."

"So, where is this place?"

!@#$%^&*

"You're earlier than normal." Was the first thing Alex said when she answered the phone.

"I have something I want to ask you."

"And what exactly is that?"

"Do you want to go out for dinner on Friday?" I asked. I was taking Francis' advice – the restaurant seemed perfect.

"Sure." She said. "You had me worried there for a moment. Where are we going."

"My brother recommended a place." I said. "I'll make reservations and pick you up at seven."

"Sounds perfect." I could hear the smile in her voice.

"Wear something nice." It was a formal setting, after all.

"What's your definition of nice?" She asked.

"Something formal."

"Damn. I'll find something." I knew Alex wasn't really a formal person, but she liked food and this place had great reviews. Fingers crossed she liked it.

We stayed on the phone for hours, talking about everything and nothing.

!@#$%^&*

Friday came and, just like before our first date, so did the anxiety. This time it wasn't because I didn't know what to expect, but rather because I didn't know how Alex would like it.

I showered, did my hair and makeup and dressed in a pink, floor length gown by half past five. I was so eager I'd gotten ready much too early.

I decided to go downstairs for a snack – Alex wasn't the only one who liked food.

"Is that you, Dakota?" Mummy called from the sitting room as I came down the stairs.

I went in to see her smiling at me.

"You look beautiful." She said. "Alex is a really lucky girl."

"Thank you."

"Could you come here, baby?" Her tone changed to one of concern. "I need to talk to you about something."