Chapter 37 - Mad Man

I felt as if I was in some kind of fish bowl as I realized what had just happened. I couldn't feel my limbs as my legs started carrying me towards the cage. I attempted to push my way through the crowd of celebrating people, various liquids falling from above as some hugged each other. I could hear Kyle's muffled screams chase after me. It didn't matter that I was in danger being in this crowd by myself, I needed to find Nova before he went to see Bradley. I needed to tell him that he didn't have to choose my freedom. I needed to tell him to take the money so that he and Stella could have a shot at leaving together.

I made it to the other end of the cage and watched as Nova exited out the other side. It felt as if my throat was bleeding as I screamed as hard as I could for Nova to turn around. My fingers were intertwined between the holes of the wired cage when strong hands gripped onto my shoulders and forced me to turn around.

"Dani, what are you doing?!" Kyle shouted at me. I tried to turn back around to get Nova's attention but Kyle's grip was stronger.

"No! I need to tell Nova! I need- Nova needs to know!" I was at a loss for words as I turned my head back towards the empty, bloody cage. What was it exactly that I wanted Nova to know? Kyle slowly drag me back out of the crowd of people and back to the booth, his arm wrapped around my elbow.

If Nova were to sacrifice his freedom for mine than I was no longer obligated to him or this place but if he I let him choose the money I was still technically his. Until my name was no longer attached to this place I would still always be his and I couldn't do that. I can't pretend to be his for as long as we are connected here, not after what he did.

I also couldn't let him sacrifice 5 years of not only his life but Stella's life too just for me to selfishly take their rightfully found freedom. I would be stealing it from them.

"Dani?" Kyle asked kneeling down in front of me when I was finally sitting down on the booth. I stared off into space with a heavy feeling of nothingness on my chest. "Dani, what's wrong?"

I shook my head as waterfalls of tears flowed down my cheeks, "No, Kyle. I need to get to Nova! I need to get to him! I need to tell him to take the money! I need... I need..." I gasped for air as I shot up from my seat. Kyle acted as a wall as I tried to step around him.

"Dani, no! Ryder is probably already in Bradley office finalizing the deal right now!" I shoved Kyle as far as I could but he grabbed me by the wrists before I could go anywhere.

"Dani, stop!" He moved his hands up to grip my shoulders so that I was looking at him, "Even if you did get to him in time, he wouldn't pick the money."

I pounded on him with my fists, "Like hell he won't! I won't let him ruin his and Stella life because of me!"

He pushed me away and I fell onto the booth. "Dani, listen! Nova has been doing this for years! He can handle himself, he can take care of Stella and he will be fine with money. He knows what's in store for him! But he will not make you stay down here when you don't even want to be with him anymore!"

I stared at Kyle as I attempted to absorb the words he spoke to me. Sitting back down I hung my head, I rubbed my face with my hands as I rested my elbows on my knees in a desperate attempt to find some kind of relief. I was beginning to wonder how my body hasn't crumbled into dust yet. It was only one thing after another and I could feel my vision slowly begin to blur from a soft pounding headache that formed in the back of my head.

Kyle slowly kneeled in front of me with a soft sigh, "Whatever happens now is what is supposed to happen, Dani. Let him make the decision for himself." He grabbed the back of my neck in comfort and kissed my forehead. "If I leave you here to get you something to drink will you promise not to go looking for Ryder?" I wiped away tears from my cheek before nodding my head.