1.8: In Which They Are Roomies

A/N: Over 300 views, eckkkk, Thank you so much!

      Also, Happy Christmas everyone! 

      (A day late, I know, but let's pretend :3)

      Enjoy!

--

      It was a week later when 391 woke up.

     She was woozy from the pain medications but otherwise fine. They monitored her for a day before allowing her to return to her cell.

     254 watches closely as the brute holding her walks over to the bed. Poor 391 looks confused as hell, most likely because of the missing wall.

     His stare is murderous as he eyes the hands on her. The Beast doesn't like it and 254 can't ignore those feelings.

     "Watch it," he growls when he places her down and a small whimper escapes her. Her arm is in a sling and he must have jolted it.

     The guard only scoffs as if to say what you going to do about it? But leaves anyway almost like he was scared to find out.

     As soon as the door closes and locks, 254 is on his feet, not walking any further than where their wall used to be. It felt too much like invading her privacy so he let the invisible barrier keep him back.

     "How are you feelin', baby?"

     She blinks, holding her breath as she pulls herself up into a sitting position and rests back against the wall. Her eyes wash over him, lips parted. "I, uh, you..." she trails off, gaze on his face before she glanced away. "You made yourself sound like a mutant," she says almost jokingly but unsure.

     The Beast purrs in pleasure at the sound of her heart picking up.

     He realises that it's the first time she's seen him.

     And she likes how he looks.

     254 would be lying if he said he didn't feel smug about it too.

     He makes a small sound of amusement. "Nah, I'm just – just me."

      With her free hand, she plays with her blonde shoulder length hair, eyes anywhere but him.

     She's gone all flustered on me, he notices.

     Aw, baby.

      He represses a smile.

     She clears her throat. "And to answer your question, I'm okay. The- the pills they gave me...they're fucking awesome," she says with a tilt of her head and grin.

     He nods, and the nods a little longer. Finds he likes the blue-green colour of her eyes. "Good. Good."

     Her teeth disappear behind her rosy lips but the smile remains. "So guess we're roomies now, huh?" She shifts against the wall behind her, letting it support her as she slides down until she's resting on her side, head on the pillow, holding her injured arm close.

     From what they'd said when she woke up, it was dislocated.

     "Yeah. Dunno why they've done that. They've got to be up to somethin' though." He moves to sit on his bed. Thinks about the things he's heard but nothing would explain why they'd want them close.

     ...Oh.

     Unless...

     Nah...there'sno way.

     He frowns, reconsiders.

     Actually- he wouldn't put it past them.

     "What?" she questions but doesn't move, her body feeling heavy. "What is it?"

     She must have noticed his trouble expression.

     "Nothin'," he lies.

     Doesn't want to worry her.

     391 didn't look convinced. "You're lying," she sing-songs.

     He ducks his head, smirks but doesn't say anything in response to that. Instead, changes the subject. "You don't have any bad habits, do you?"

     She scrunches up her nose. "Like what?"

     "Dunno. Do you snore?"

     She quirks her eyebrow at him. "How would I know? I don't remember shit."

      He bobs his head once. "Fair enough."

     "Nice diverting the conversation away from my question, by the way." With the way her voice slurs, he's surprised she manages to say a sentence that long.

     "Thanks, I tried."

     She manages to shake her head against her pillow. "Such a dick."

     They share a smile.

     "I don't sleep, by the way," he mentions casually. "So that'll probably get pretty annoying. I won't do anything to keep you awake though."

     She blinks. "You...you don't sleep?" She sounds like she find sit hard to believe. "Are you a robot?"

     "No," he scoffs with a laugh. "Superhuman? Yeah."

     "Oh yeah," she laughs. "Me too, apparently. I forgot about that. Stupid ass-holes thought I could fly." She scowls. "Fly like a bird," she sings the words. "But I crashed like humpty-dumpty."

     The reminder angers him – not at her, but at them – and he tries to ignore it. Wishes The Beast's feelings would stop being so hard to ignore, and have so much influence on his own. It made it hard to think. "You always sing like that?"

     "Huh. I don't know." She raises a playful eyebrow at him. "Why? S'it annoying? Am I annoying you already?"

     Bitch almost looks proud.

     He shakes his head in amusement. "I could kill you, you know."

     He wouldn't.

     "You wouldn't," she says knowingly. "That...that ass-hole doctor has a broken nose and nasty bruise on his jaw. I asked him why. The other dude said it was you. Said you did it 'cause he hurt me." Her eyes fall closed but she's smiling. "You like me..."

     Fuck, she singing again.

     254 blows air out of his mouth but, shit, he's smiling too. "Well, I wouldn't push it that far."

     "Uh-huh." She's not convinced. "It's okay to like me. I'm pretty awesome, you know."

     Yeah, I'm noticing that.

     "Tired?" he questions softly when he realises that her eyes are remaining closed.

     "Yeah," the answer is whisper.

     His face turns sympathetic. "You should get some sleep, baby."

     A small noise is all she can manage.

    He watches her for a while.

     Realising he's never been this close to someone who hadn't hurt him in someway.

     She's like him.

     That reason alone is enough for them to fond some kind of bond, apparently.

     254 finds he doesn't mind it, but doesn't know how much of it is his own feelings or The Beasts.

     Either way, they were stuck together now.