1.12: In Which She Worries

A/N: Think this is the longest chapter yet, woohoo!

     --

     This time instead of hurting her they tried hypnosis.

     It didn't work but 391 wasn't surprised – her mind was too preoccupied with 254.

     At this point she was highly convinced that nothing had changed and she was a normal as the day they'd taken her.

     Or her powers were something stupid like her nails grew slightly more faster than the average Joe.

    Nonetheless she didn't care about that right now.

     "In," the guard who touched her in the showers ordered. Gavin was behind him, making sure the other wasn't escorting her alone like 254 had requested. She found it weird that they'd actually respecting 254enough to act out his wish.

     Or maybe they were just that scared of him.

     391 steps inside, her heart dropping into her stomach when she didn't spot 254. They were still punishing him and she felt sick, knowing they were doing it because he'd tried protecting her – again.

     "He's still in there, isn't he?" Her voice is small.

     Pervy guard grunts in response.

     He's about to close the door when she stops him.

     "Wait!"

     He hesitates before his expression morphs into annoyance. "Hurry up."

     She almost doesn't ask, because talking to him after what he did to her left a bad taste in her mouth, but fuck it. She wanted to know. "On the radio thing-" she gestures to his ear. "-you told them 254 didn't need punishing. You tried to stop it. Why?"

     She didn't get it.

     He simply shrugs. "He was trying to protect his own. Can't fault him for that."

     Her lips part.

     Out of all the reasons she'd thought of, that wasn't one she'd been expecting. "Oh."

     He looks like he's about to leave but stops mid-step, conflict on his face. "Look, about what happened...I'm sorry. I gotta do it or they'll kill my elderly Mother, you know?"

     She softens slightly and doesn't have a clue what to say so she goes with, "All right." She's not sure that she can forgive him but if he's telling the truth then she understands.

     He nods before leaving, closing and locking her in.

     –

      An hour later and she's pacing.

     How long could they seriously torture him for?

     It was driving her crazy.

     She remembers what he told her, about the things they've done to him, and she has to swallow back the vomit. Her stomach quivers uneasily and she feels-

     So.

     Fucking.

     Useless.

     Fingers roll into a fist as she stares at the door, willing him to step through it at any moment. She needed him to smile at her; tell her that he was okay.

     Reassure her.

     Briefly, she wonders if this is how he feels when he knows she's getting hurt.