Home

Toronto Canada - 2016

It was his third day back in the Toronto area. 

Yuzuru and his mother had finally returned to their apartment after a long flight from Japan. He had met with his coaches only yesterday in regards to his plan for the upcoming season, but he was ready to get back to the Cricket Club the moment he landed.

Yuzuru felt like a child about to start a new school year.

Although dead tired from the time change, as he laid in his bed, he was too excited and anxious to close his eyes. He was pretty certain he didn't sleep at all, and as soon as the clock next to his bed read four thirty, he was eagerly swinging his legs over the side of his bed, ready to start his day.

He could sleep later.

Walking into the Cricket Club, he warmed up before making his way into the large room where the ice was held. He took in a deep breath, taking in the familiar scent of the place he had spent so many hours of his life.  In an instant he was overcome with a sense of comfort and familiarity.  Despite having come from his actual hometown in Japan, this place was starting to feel more like home to him.

His ears took in the sound of skates cutting the surface of ice.

Someone was already here.

Moving into a doorway, he scanned the area. It was completely empty, except for one lone figure. 

Her.

Somewhere deep down he thought this may happen.  And even though he had been itching to have the TCC ice under his skates, if he was being entirely honest with himself (and he wasn't), he would have admitted that perhaps some of his excitement about returning to the TCC was due to the prospect of seeing her again.

Yuzuru stood entirely still, not making a sound. He briefly wondered if she minded being watched unknowingly. He knew her shy demeanor, but he also clearly remembered the morning recalled the morning months ago when she had caught him by surprise, secretly observing him during his practice. 

This time the roles were reversed.

He watched her spin with a precision he didn't expect and then glide to the opposite side of the rink.  She seemed lost in her music, and for the first time ever he saw her skate with inhibition.  There was some feeling to her skate. He couldn't help the smile that came to his face.  

She had improved.

When the sound of her skates stopped, Yuzuru was not surprised to see her eyes on him. It wasn't like he was trying to conceal himself.  However, he was surprised by the scream that came out of her mouth, causing his heart to pump wildly in his chest.

They both looked at each other in fear.

Her, because she was clearly shocked by another's presence.

And him, because god lord this girl could scream.

He collected himself a moment later, finally putting his skates on the ice he missed dearly.  Skating towards her, he spoke, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

"It's okay," she panted, hunched over with her hands on her knee, eyes on the ice. "You are back."

"I am."

Yuzuru observed her from just feet away. It had been such a long time since he had seen her in person. Despite having viewed numerous photos of her through his phone, for some inexplicable reason, it felt as though he didn't fully recognize her now. It was as if, in that moment, he was genuinely looking at her for the very first time.