Chapter Fifteen

NOT PROPERLY EDITED

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Take a break, then we'll start again." Callisto's voice echoed over the huffing citizens, whom quietly groaned and thanked their gods that the insanity was briefly stayed. They didn't know how much more of this boot camp they could take before they died of exhaustion or overworked strain. That's not to say they haven't improved over the week of relentless training provided by the blue female, they were much better this time around than the first day. Europa floated to Callisto's side and gently tapped her shoulder to silently convey that she wanted to speak in private.

"I have Stratus and the other fish on constant patrol of the clouds so the second they arrive we'll know."

"Perfect, I want the element of surprise on our side. They'll be here any day now." Europa shifted closer to whisper in case a villager be silently eavesdropping on their discussion.

"Do you really think they're able to defeat an entire army of soldiers who have been trained for years? They're just now able to properly survive your boot camp thing you have going on." Callisto slowly nodded like she was intently listening to a pretend conversation of the battle strategy of Nightlight Piranhas and Cloud Sharks.

"They don't have to win the entire war, just enough of it to send Striker running back to Earth. Once he gives up, the others will be quick to follow. But even then that will be a challenge since Striker doesn't care about his soldiers enough to know when to retreat." The unconvinced expression that the bespeckled female gave her friend demanded to know the shred of hope in her words.

"If he's willing to sacrifice an entire army, how do you plan on forcing this Striker to retreat before everything falls?"

"I have a plan."

"Then why don't you share it so we aren't blindly following you into a massacre." Callisto nodded in agreement with Europa's words before turning towards the resting villagers.

"Change of plans, instead I want to give you all the battle plan so everyone knows what they have to do to win this war." She found a charred bit of branch from the Mors Magna attack- how it ended all the way up there she didn't care to try figuring out- and turned to face the wooden board space once used to hold Deimos' old sticks and stones weaponry. Callisto sketched a map of where the battle is predicted to be held- around the very ship she was taking residence within.

"Okay so we will have them land here, Europa has plans to make that a certainty so we don't need to worry about chasing them through the trees. Everyone will be surrounding the clearing high in the canopy, this will hide your numbers and give you the advantage of higher ground. If they reach the trees be sure to lead them around the village as much as possible." A few hands shot up in the air like children who knew every answer and Callisto pointed to the woman from her Tribunal with the genes of a wolf and a cobra.

"Should we have warriors at the village just in case they do find it?"

"That is a perfect idea, thank you. If they do get to the trees, then you and a small select group will fall back to the village to protect the citizens there." She pointed to Helix for his input.

"Some of us can fly, can we do something with that?"

"If you feel like you should or need to then go ahead. Just be prepared for some of them to be able to do the same and it's much harder to focus on a battle when you're trying not to fly into a tall tree." The boy nodded and looked deep in thought as she moved to the last one with their hand raised, Deimos.

"Where will you be? You talk like you won't be in the canopy with us." Callisto forcibly swallowed around the stone of nerves in her throat that had been something she carried with her since the beginning of this plan. She made a small x in the center of the clearing by the square she made to represent the rusty Scout Regiment ship.