Chapter 4

I stare at the white scar that cuts across the palm of my hand

I stare at the white scar that cuts across the palm of my hand. My conversation with Valentine comes back to me as I sit in the dark cell.

What are you doing?

Showing you something you failed to see.

I'm sure, now, that it was a conversation with Valentine; not a bad dream. I think deep down I always knew that. I think I've known since I sunk the tip of the final arrow into his heart that this wasn't really over, not yet.

I curl my fingers – covering the scar and making a fist.

No. It is over. Because I won't be going to the Underworld to bring him back. Of course I won't be.

The fact he'd said with such certainty that I would unnerves me though. And cold dread starts to seep into my body as I remember the rest of our conversation; about trouble, and War. I think back to the old, cobwebbed metal crate that he placed onto the table; and his eyes, blue and piercing as they burnt into mine. He said that he could penetrate my mind, my dreams.

As much as I don't want to believe a word that he says; as much as he is twisted, and dangerous, and a killer – he has never lied to me.

Trouble is coming.

As if to prove the validity of his words, a bloodcurdling scream cuts sharply through my thoughts. For a moment I sit there, heart racing, wondering if I imagined it; wondering if Valentine has got inside my head so much that I'm actually hearing things.

But then I hear it again.

I jump to my feet, cold adrenaline surging through my body. 

It sounds like Valentine's trouble is here.

I sprint through the darkness of the dungeons and up the stairs; racing past the stagnant stone pond by the entrance of the dungeon, and the white moonlight that illuminates it. I come to a halt behind the doors to the trial room.

There is no longer music playing within. 

Pulse racing I push one of the doors slightly ajar.

The flashing pink strobe light illuminates Crystal, stood on the raised platform at the front of the trial room. On the ground in front of her the cupids have parted, creating a walkway towards her between them. There are three female figures facing her in the center. They're all dressed in black leathers, and the flashing light reflects off silver blades held in their hands.

The air in the room is heavy with tension.

"You're not welcome here," says Crystal. Her blue eyes are fixed on the three women before her.

One of them steps forwards. She twirls a knife in her hand.

I notice Crystal's eyes momentarily flash towards the crowd. She gives an almost undetectable nod to someone before her gaze focuses on the woman once more. As the pink light continues to flash I catch a rippling movement where Crystal was looking moments before. I hover in the doorway, searching for the cause of the movement, and my gaze locks with Cupid's as he pushes stealthily through the agents towards me.