Chapter 55

The Cupids Matchmaking Service is written in elegant calligraphy across the glass shop front

The Cupids Matchmaking Service is written in elegant calligraphy across the glass shop front. A sign reading Not taking on any new clients at this time hangs from the door handle.

There's a crack across the dark window. We peer through it at a reception area shrouded in darkness – the wind violently whipping my red dress against my legs and dragging its icy fingers through Cupid's hair. Charlie shivers beside me in her short dress. We both changed into our converse in the car – and in our formal dresses, sneakers, and quivers full of cupid arrows over our shoulders we'd look odd if anyone was paying attention. But the only people – a group of men dressed like they're going out for drinks – are fighting across the sidewalk, clearly under the influence of Mars.

The ground trembles. But Cal stands statuesque – a stony look on his face, blood still smeared across his white shirt.

"Something's wrong," he says.

I run one hand across the cool, reassuring weight of my bow. Not that it'll do us much good. When we're taken prisoner we'll be disarmed.

"What's new?" says Cupid.

I look up at Cupid, then take the box from him. He hands it over with no hesitation. It seems to hum beneath my fingers – like it knows how close we are to delivering it to its final destination.

Venus's agents will take the box from me too. And I don't like that. But what choice do we have.

As soon as we're taken to Venus, I'll get it back.

I will bring the darkness.

I don't fight Psyche's voice in the back of my head. I embrace it. Her anger melds with mine; it is mine.

This won't be easy. But we will win.

"Why would they leave the reception unguarded with all this going on?" says Cal.

"Lucky break?" says Cupid.

We all give him a withering look at his tempting of fate and he shrugs. Then he looks down at me.

"Ready, lovebug?" he says.

In the darkness his eyes are the color of a stormy sea, and they contain so many questions. There's sadness there too - a wistful longing that surely comes from wondering whether I'll ever be the same girl he met when he first came to Forever Falls; or whether all this has changed me too much for us to be truly matched anymore.

I wonder what he sees in my eyes as he stares at me.

Grief? Guilt? Darkness?

I wonder if he sees me, or Psyche.

I don't think I have the strength to ask him. Not until all this is over.

And it will be soon.

The ground shudders beneath us again and I harden my resolve. I look at the door before us.

"Yeah," I say. "I'm ready. Charlie? Cal?"