THREE | τρία

THREE | τρία

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

I HAD ALWAYS thought that my descent into madness would begin when I was old and dying, possibly in my late eighties with a lovely cat perched on my lap... and even then, I would have people to watch over me in an old person's home.

Now, with me stood by the balcony of the Deific Palace of Thrace, I couldn't tell what was real and what was make-believe.

I could slowly feel my sanity trickling away with every passing moment. Whatever was going on... whatever this was... it was too much for my brain to comprehend.

The scar on my wrist ached, pleading for attention but I ignored it. Ares had bandaged it up for me, but we all knew it wouldn't end there.

"There is a prophecy. One predicted by The Fates." Said Ares. He was stood besides me, staring out into the distance.

The view was impeccable, it was almost medieval. With the trees and mountains in the distance.

It was sunset and the sky was a haze of colours, varying between hues of pinks, blues and oranges as the sun kissed the sky.

I looked to Ares, hoping his explanation would soothe the storm of confusion inside of me. His face was a strange sort of calm as his golden irises watched over the land.

"They predicted a war of the gods. That I would lead that war." He explained, I nodded in understanding, prodding him to continue.

The three Fates were notorious for their strikingly accurate prophecies on future events, like the psychics of the mythological world.

"Seeing as you're such a spot-on classicist, I trust that you know who the Fates are, and why their opinions are such a big deal around here." He smirked, though it didn't quite reach his eyes.

"The gods on Mount Olympus are out of control, Ariel. They plan on destroying everything, including the earth. They want to restart the world by wiping every single last thing out, down to the very last particle. It's genocide. It was predicted that a war led by me and the other gods would be the only thing that could stop them. That would only take place once I've found my fated love." He never met my gaze while explaining all of this to me.

It was strange, hearing all of this about gods and goddesses, about how our world was at stake. "I really don't get this." I huffed out confusedly, snapping my gaze away from the man beside me and focusing it on the landscape ahead of us. "How do these Fates think I'm going to fix this mess? What, am I going to smite the almighty Zeus with my super-mortal powers? Am I going to stare him to death? Perhaps jog circles around him until I'm dizzy. Oh, wait. I've got it. I'll destroy him with my divine ability to fold my tongue." I drawled sarcastically, rolling my eyes at our current predicament.

"You can actually fold your tongue?" He replied with just as much sarcasm, pink lips pursed into a think line.

I playfully smacked his arm, which he shrugged off. His mood seemed to lighten immensely with our joyous exchange. For some reason, it warmed my heart to see him smile, seeing it reach his beautiful eyes.

"Ariel, it was predicated that I would take over Mount Olympus if I could defeat Zeus and his followers. Now that I've seen you, met you. I know that I don't want you to suffer through war. I want you to carry on with living your life, happily and without me. I think it would be best if we found a way to cure your wrist and send you on your way." It felt as though he was still withholding some kind of information from me. Some small, yet important piece to complete the puzzle.

"But the Fates predicted you'd lose the war without me, didn't they? Is that why Hades is so desperate to get to me?" I asked and his features softened as his head hung low, hair covering his eyes strangely. "There are many trying to work against the prophecy, Ariel. Yes, I would lose the war without you. But that's a chance I'm willing to take for your safety. If Cerberus had reached you in time, if he'd had time to administer more than just a measly bite to you... you'd be burning in the pits of hell right now, that's something I could never forgive myself for. Besides, as you know, losing wars isn't exactly new to me." He said, eyes finally meeting mine.

"I don't want you to lose." I found myself blurting out, not sure why I would utter such stupid words. His thick, fire red brows furrowed in confusion. "I want to stay and find a cure for my wrist... and fight. I don't know why, but I feel this strong unkempt desire to help you. To win this war, not just for you – but for the entire human race. So here's what I'll do. I'll help you win this, however I can," I sighed before finishing my sentence, not sure if the god would agree to my plans. "When this is all over, I'll return to my home and pretend this whole thing never happened. Do we have a deal?" I asked, eyebrow quirking up apprehensively. "I don't know how, but there must be a reason the Fates have predicted that I would help you win this war. So let's find out." He seemed to have been thinking the whole thing over before finally nodding in agreement.

I hadn't even noticed that nightfall had arrived and that the stars were glistening in the moonlight as it casted a grand shadow over my fated love's face.

It is said that the eyes are the windows to the soul. His eyes were windows to nought, it was all just a strategically constructed labyrinth and looking into his eyes just made so much more confused than I already was, lost even. They were so beautiful, so enticing that I felt myself drawing nearer and nearer towards him, lips only a hairsbreadth away from his.

It was like there was some supernatural force pulling me, drawing me nearer to him. Maybe it was because we had been destined to fall in love, fated to be together. Whatever Aphrodite was doing, it had to stop, because I had just met Ares and already, I wanted to kiss him, to hold him and be one with him.

He seemed to have been drawing nearer as well, because his soft palm had been hovering over my cheek, simply setting butterflies loose in my stomach as his jaw clenched, he shut his eyes tightly before pulling away. "We can't." He reasoned and his spell over me wore off. I had just been rejected and my cheeks were immediately heating up in embarrassment. What the hell was I thinking?

"You're right." I shook my head dejectedly. I had just met the man and I was already leaning in for kisses? It just wasn't right, even if he was my supposed fated love. "We can't get distracted. Now let's win ourselves a war."