21

Thankfully Hailie passed out for her nap quickly, allowing me to finish speed-cleaning. Amazing how having someone you like coming over could turn you into a cleaning machine. Such incentive.

When they arrived at two, everything was sparkling and my aunt was praising me. "You work so hard, Luna, and I hope you know how much I realize it and appreciate it. We could never do all this without you." She hugged me.

"Aw, shucks," I said, embarrassed.

"I want you have a good time. Is she someone who might be special?" She whispered the last part as we heard their car doors shutting. "You seem pretty happy."

"She is," I said simply. "And I am."

Then Hailie flew past us to open the door and hide behind it so she could jump out and shout "Boo!" 

Chloe pretended to be scared. "You got me," she said, hand on her heart. She was wearing a baby blue shirt made out of a thin material, and the little V cut into the semi-low neckline perfectly defined those divine round braless boobs. It was sexy as hell, and oh my lord the things I wanted to do to her body, Jesus take the wheel. Lesbian Jesus, that is.

She hugged me, pressing against me, and my mouth went dry as my heart kicked into high gear. "Hi," I said, swallowing, breathing in her light mystery flower perfume, practically giddy.

"Hey," she answered, squeezing me an extra few seconds before letting go and turning to my aunt. "I'm Chloe, and this is my brother, Joey. I tried to get them not to do the rhyming thing, but here we are." She shook her head mock-sadly.

"It's a pleasure to meet you. Please, make yourselves at home," my aunt said graciously. "I'll just be in the bookstore if you need anything."

The bookstore had plenty of wine tucked away, and Nathaniel was at a friend's house, so she was off the hook for a few hours and planning to take advantage of it.

"You didn't scare me," Joey was telling Hailie matter-of-factly. "And I'm sure my sister was pretending."

"Come out in my backyard, there's a swing set," she said, and they were off.

Chloe and I looked at each other and I reached out and grasped the front of that clingy shirt, pulling her to me for a soft kiss, which showed major restraint, please believe. "Hi," I said again, wishing we were alone and somewhere very private for like, four or five hours.

"Still haven't seen that tattoo," she mused, biting her lower lip.

I held her eyes as I slid the strap of my red tank top down my arm, baring most of my left breast so she could see the eternity sign over my heart.

Now she was the one swallowing, a little flustered and so, so interested. "Wow. That's . . . wow."

I smiled and replaced the strap. Expectations was playing because I'm not subtle, and Hayley Kiyoko was singing "Talking until three am, giving me that look again . . ." and it was so perfect. "Want something to drink?"

"Something strong, after that," she came back with, appreciation still on her face.

I was flattered and absurdly pleased that she liked me. It had been a long time since I'd even looked at another girl and I'd been half afraid Monica had ruined love for me forever.

But apparently my fears were unfounded.

The song continued as she followed me into the kitchen, which was old and outdated but sparkling clean. "Chocolate cupcakes, yay," she said upon seeing them. "Can I have one now, I have no restraint."

"Please," I gestured. "I've already had two, save me from myself."

"Love the wrapper." She peeled it off and took a bite, making a sound I wanted to hear in my bedroom. "Girl," she said, appreciation in her voice. "I don't know what sorcery this is but you make the best cupcakes in the world."

I vowed to get this amazing creature away from that douche bag if I had to kill him with my own two hands. Where there's a will, there's a way. I had a good shovel.

Hailie chose that moment to run back inside, tugging at my shirt until I leaned over. "Tell them they can look for four-leaf clovers," she whispered loudly.

"We each found one in the same little patch last month," I explained as I was pulled outside.

"That's so cool," Chloe said. "Is it common for them to grow in close proximity like that?"

Damn, I loved how she talked. "It is," I said, because I'd looked it up. "There are actual clover farms where people search all day for four-leaf clovers, to sell online." I knelt by the small green leaves. We looked now and them but hadn't found another. "When they find one, they mark that spot, because more will often grow there."

"That's so cool," she said again, and her childlike pleasure about some things was straight up endearing.

Hailie searched for a minute with us before announcing, "This is sort of boring. I already found mine, anyway, and it's good for a lifetime. I'm going to spin on the tire with Joey."

It was sort of zen to search through the sea of the soft green plants, and I kept catching a scent from her that I couldn't place. "Do you smell like blueberry muffins?" I asked, finally realizing what it reminded me of.

She touched her hair, which was half up and curly. "It's a new leave-in conditioner, blueberry something, yeah."

I spotted one with four leaves just then, and kept a poker face. "Over here's where we found ours," I said casually, gesturing to that area and pretending to still search.

"I'll never find one," she said, moving closer to me. "I don't know why I'm--oh! Is that one? It is! I found one! Are you kidding me right now? Look!" She plucked it and held it in her palm reverently. "That is so cool. I can't believe it." She hugged me, cupping it safely in her hand, and let go to look at it again in awe.

Thank you, universe, for that little miracle. She deserved it. "And now your good luck begins," I prophesied, her smile matching how my heart felt.

She met my eyes. "Did it work for you?"

"I found mine like three days before we met," I said, honestly, just realizing it.

Her smile became knowing. "I hope mine works that fast."

"Me too," I agreed, because she was clearly talking about the Keith situation. But there had to be a way to deal with him, and I would help her find it.