35

We spent the next few days packing. Both of us were half-afraid Asshole Face would come back early so there was an air of apprehension but also a lot of excitement. It was hard to believe things could work out so easily, that we could be together.

Of course my house was small, and therefore much of her belongings would go into storage. But we were both pretty focused on just being together so that didn't matter.

Tuesday night we lay in my bed, her in my left arm, after having finally gotten every last thing of hers out of the house. We also had the evidence from the mayor's house incident. Boyfriend was going to have a rude awakening when he returned the next day, and she was clearly anxious about it.

"It'll be okay," I told her for the hundredth time. It was a bit after midnight. Hailie, who had been awake for nearly three hours, watched Sesame Street in her stroller while eating macaroni below us.

"I know," Chloe answered softly, automatically, but her right hand returned to her mouth so she could nibble her index fingernail.

"My cousin will handle it," I assured her. Jared was going to talk to him and explain the situation. It seemed prudent to have it come from someone who had a good chance of kicking his ass if he got shitty about it, which, chances were he would.

I didn't love that I wasn't able to handle it myself because of the technicality of being a small person without an intimidating weapon--my stun gun was only five inches and pink-- but looked at it as a chance for my cousin to make himself useful. It seemed the least he could do.

"I know," she said again, and I took her hand and kissed the back of it, then each ragged fingernail. She looked up at me, the corner of her mouth lifting, and I tightened my hold on her. "You're the best," she added. "I hope you know that."

"Pff, says you," I mock-scoffed with a smile of my own. I couldn't fully believe she was really there. "The day after tomorrow, you will wake up with all the bullshit behind you, and I will be next to you, and we'll go from there together," I told her, because I am all about promises.

"That sounds amazing," she said, her expression soft.

"And we'll commemorate the occasion by baking something delicious. Oh," I remembered, reaching down to the floor for my discarded jeans. "Here, I found these in the bathroom for you." It was a new pack of foam ear plugs, since I didn't want Hailie to disturb what sleep she did get.

Her aw face deepened. "Thank you, I meant to get some. Perfect." She yawned. "Though I'm pretty sure I'll be able to sleep through anything tonight."

I heard Hailie calling me and groaned, reluctantly sliding out of bed. "Be right back. You want anything?" We'd already had tacos and cherry pie and a variety of snacks.

She held out her hand. "Please, no, I'm stuffed."

"Luluuuu," we heard again.

"Don't move," I said, and went downstairs.

"I just need more salt please," my cousin announced when she saw me. She liked the gluten free pasta, fortunately, and it came in several shapes. The sauces had too many visible seasonings in them or were "too red", but salt or Parmesan cheese were sufficient toppings thankfully.

I handed it to her. "It's almost time to go back to bed. When this one is over, okay? So finish up your noodles please."

"Okay," she said amicably, spearing another macaroni piece with her plastic fork. "These macaroni noodles are a teensy bit bigger and wider and softer than the other ones. That's fine though. I like these ones better. The long ones are the best, of course, but you didn't get any of those so I just will eat the rest of these ones. Sesame Street might be for smaller kids than me but it's still nice to watch it sometimes, don't you think, Lulu? Don't you think it's still nice for older kids to sometimes watch little kids shows and enjoy them?"

"I do," I answered, uncapping a bottle of water and inching toward the stairs. Chloe was like a fucking magnet.

"Is Chloe your new girlfriend now?" Hailie wondered aloud. "Because Monica was your girlfriend and then she did something bad and then you had no girlfriend and now I think you have Chloe for your girlfriend. And I like Chloe. And some people have boyfriends. Some girls do and some boys do. And I know some people think it's bad but they are wrong and ignorant. Lots of people are ignorant," she went on matter-of-factly. "But whoever you love is the person you love, even if they're a boy or a girl or non binary." She shrugged. "Everyone is different."

I tried to absorb all that. "You're absolutely right, and yes, Chloe is my girlfriend now. I'm glad you like her. Finish your noodles, okay? I'm going back upstairs."

"Probably to kiss Chloe," she said blithely.

"Probably," I agreed with something best described as joy, hurrying back upstairs.

Chloe was asleep, turned on her side, her lips parted a little. The room was warm, the fan in the window just blowing around the tepid air. She lay on top of the blanket in her black Tommy Hilfiger fitted boxers and a powder blue halter top with fine lace at the scooped neckline, and she was like a dream come true.

I sat on the floor rather than disturb her; she'd hardly slept the past few nights I just wanted her to rest as much as she could. Watsky's "Welcome To The Family" played softly. No pressure, but would you like to blow my mind and move too fast and plan our perfect lives together? "Yes I would," I murmured. I kept an eye on Hailie so I would know when the show was over and I could go back to bed.

Chloe's phone vibrated on the tiny table next to the bed and I leaped up to grab it before it could wake her. The screen showed a text from Testicle Face: I'll be back tomorrow so make sure I have beer and don't get the wrong fucking beef jerkey either you know I hate the jack links one!!

What a charmer. Maybe some beef jerky laced with rat poison, if that wasn't too good for him. I sincerely hoped he would piss Jared off so he'd get his ass handed to him on a plate, and that if it happened we were somehow able to see it.

I couldn't wait to get him completely out of her life so she could be free to have the happiness she deserved.