PROLOGUE

The gray morning veil still lingers over Miami Beach as the city starts to wake and the noise of opening cafés breaks the calm of dawn. Traffic is light at the famous art deco stretch known as Ocean Drive, which is just beginning to be mottled with people walking their dogs, buying the newspaper or exercising. No beachgoers or tourists yet; at least not this early in the day.

Most people ignore the homeless man stumbling along the boardwalk. The few that notice him do so with usual disdain. But to the most observant, it soon becomes clear that there's something out of place about this man. His tall body looks strong and athletic, instead of the usual emaciated bag of bones one can find perched on a street corner asking for spare change. The man's wrinkled shirt and jeans aren't ill-fitting donations, but quite stylish; just like his watch and shoes.

The drifter wanders about repeating something under his breath, while he anxiously scans the street. A Middle Eastern man in his late twenties overhears as he rollerblades by him. Something catches the rollerblader's attention, so he spins around and heads back toward the homeless guy.

"Afwan ya'akh. Hal beemkani mosa'adatuk?" the skater says. The vagabond reaches out, mutters something, and then collapses on the sidewalk.