CHAPTER FORTY-NINE

Zack Rahman is elegant and lean, with a full beard and closely cropped black hair, showing signs of balding. He's already waiting at Doha International Airport for Michael Singleton and Lieutenant James Sanders, now wearing civilian clothes. Even though Singleton dressed lighter for the trip, he's immediately bothered by the wave of heat that greets him outside. The shirt under his jacket sticks to his body and he thinks his head is going to melt while his feet cook inside his shoes.

For James, who had operated out of Al Udeid Air Base, this is practically like going back to summer camp—if he had ever gone to one—except for the fact that before he carried gear in excess of a hundred pounds and enough ammo to open his own gun store.

Rahman drives them to a remote warehouse at the nearby port, where they meet with a short, middle-aged man, who has a prominent nose and glasses. He has six Iraqi mercenaries with him.

"Michael Singleton, this is Fariq Najjar from Qatari State Security," Rahman says.

"Pleasure to meet you," Singleton says.

"Mr. Singleton, thank you for informing us about your operation in our homeland," Najjar says in accented English.

"The last thing we need is a political incident," Singleton says. "The man we're here to capture is an extremely resourceful and dangerous individual. We appreciate your help in this matter."

"Of course. Now, I must warn you, my government is willing to let you conduct your operation within our borders on one condition—no bloodshed."

"Absolutely," Singleton says, not wanting to push his luck. "You have nothing to worry about."

"We have knowledge of this Eric Caine you're looking for. We're greatly shocked that he has managed to enter our country undetected. That is why my superiors want me to oversee your operation and help you in any way we can. I have a surveillance team at your disposal and drivers for your men. Also, I have provided your team with weapons, explosives and anything else they might need for the operation." He points to the crates of gear.

"Much appreciated."

Singleton hates the fact that he has to work with the Qataris, but he has no choice. Without endorsement from the agency, he's going to need the local intelligence bodies to capture Caine. Understandably, the Qatari agency wants to take credit for being part of what has become the largest manhunt this side of Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein; what the media has begun to call the hunt for the new Carlos the Jackal. At least State Security has also guaranteed zero media coverage.

Rahman points to the mercenaries; a somber group of neat, fit men in their mid-thirties. "These are the men I told you about. They're all top drawer and battle-hardened. Their English is good and two of them are experienced interrogators. I've already briefed them and they're ready to go."

"What about my equipment?" James says.

"Follow me," Rahman says, walking to a gap between empty containers.

There's a desk geared with signal and communication intelligence equipment.

"This is the best I could do with such short notice," "But it'll get the job done. From here, you can watch and communicate with the field team and direct their operations."

"I'm going to need some time to set up," James says, as he looks at the equipment with a critical eye; he has seen worse.

"Go ahead," Singletons says.

"The men have prepared one of those containers as an interrogation room in case you need it," Rahman says.

"Zack, I'm impressed," Singleton says. "You've done a superb job."