|Thirty|

(The Engagement Party)
Nicole

*****

I had no clue what I was going to wear to my engagement party. This was a formal occasion, by invitation only. Everything was a shock to me, but this was a good one. I smiled, as I slipped on my white brocade gown that fits me like a glove. It was embroidered with a black beaded design. It has a long train, with a black silk lining underneath.

Amelia and Mimi had it custom maid by a designer in Savannah for me. They knew that Skyler was going to propose, three months ago. Mimi snuck one of my dresses out of my closet, so the designer would know my measurements. It was truly a surprise. I loved this gown and I couldn't wait for the engagement party. I was over the moon to be engaged to the man of my dreams.

I wore my hair in an updo, with spiral curls cascading down. I had my makeup and nails professionally done. Amelia wanted me to show off my gorgeous ring in style. She is already mothering me and will be an amazing mother-in-law. My life has come full circle now, I'm gaining a loving family.

I descended the stairs, where everyone was waiting in the foyer. Skyler looked up. "You look absolutely breathtaking." He stared at me, and I was undone under his blue eyed scrutiny.

"Oh Nicole, you look so beautiful." Mimi and Amelia echoed each other, putting their hand up to cover their mouth.

"Lance will meet us at the party. He went to the airport to pick up your brother, Miles. He was speechless when he heard you were engaged. He cut his trip short, after qualifying for the race." Amelia was so excited.

What kind of race is she talking about?

Beau came up to me. "May I have this dance? Oh that's right, we're not at the party yet." He l joked. "You look gorgeous, and I'm privileged that you're my daughter-in-law to be." He kissed my cheek. What a compliment coming from him.

My aunt Maxine couldn't speak, she was overcome with emotion. She couldn't believe how my life has turned out.

My uncle held on to her, as they approached me. "You look like a princess. We are overjoyed for you, sweetheart." He kissed my forehead, like he always did when I was little.

*****

We arrived at Gilley's in a white stretch limousine. Skyler's parents spared no expense. You would think this was a wedding. People stood gawking, as if we were famous. The driver parked out front, letting us exit the limo. Skyler helped me out and stared at me in amazement. He looked so dashing in his black tuxedo, crisp white shirt, and black bow tie.

All of the guests were arriving for the 6 p.m. party. It was very crowded. They have several venues here. There was a concert going on at the South Side Music Hall.

"Hi, we're The Penningtons." Amelia took charge and quickly spoke to a hostess. We were ushered inside our reception hall. I marveled, looking around the room as we entered the door.

Some guests had arrived early. The cocktail hour was just beginning. Waiters were walking around, with trays of hors d'oeuvres. The reception hall was absolutely gorgeous.

The tables had white linen tablecloths, with chairs draped in white linen. They had bows tied in the back. Amelia made sure there was assigned seating. We were shown to our table.

The tables had centerpieces, with tall glass vases filled with my favorite flowers. There were low candles on the tables as well, that added a nice ambiance. Fine China place settings sat on the tables. Place cards with each guest's name written in calligraphy sat in front of the place settings.