Chapter One: Imogen

Chapter One: Imogen, Present Day

[This story will be removed from Wattpad on August 3, 2023]

"Did you know Imogen's a dancer?"

Against my will, Tabitha hauled me back into the conversation with the three guys sharing our table. Coming to this club with Eleanor and Tabitha had seemed like a great idea earlier this evening. Loud music to drown out my nagging thoughts, dancing with attractive guys to distract me from a man who now only existed in my memories, and two friends who reminded me of simpler times when the music, dancing and cheap alcohol could solve any problem.

"A dancer, huh?" the guy beside me said, his eyes sweeping over my body. "How much do you charge?"

His two companions cackled, as if their friend hadn't just recycled an over-used line that I'd heard a hundred times before.

"You wouldn't be able to afford me," I said, mirroring his actions by dragging my gaze from his eyes downwards.

An equally predictable response, but then the guy didn't seem interested in originality. Tabitha, however, was not impressed.

"A ballroom dancer," she added with a rush of urgency, shooting me a glare.

Apparently unfazed by my attempt to put him back in his place, the guy pushed on.

"A ballroom dancer? Can't imagine that. You're far too sexy to be prancing about with some stuck-up guy who's barely allowed to touch you."

It was a pity I didn't find blind ignorance endearing, otherwise I'd have been back at his flat already rather than listening to him talk shit.

"She does Latin, too," Eleanor said.

I narrowed my eyes at her, but she didn't take the hint. It couldn't be more obvious that Eleanor and Tabitha wanted me to hit it off with the guy. They'd already set their sights on his two friends, and although they were a good-looking bunch, I wasn't in the mood.

"I'm going to the bathroom," I said, easing myself out from behind the table and then resting my eyes on the comedian next to me. "Why don't you get another round in?"

See, I was making an effort with him.

Tabitha and Eleanor scurried after me, wasting no time in launching into their attack as soon as we joined the queue for the ladies' bathroom.

"For fuck's sake, Imogen. What's wrong with you tonight? Must we do all the work for you?" Tabitha asked.

"I'd rather you didn't do any work for me. I could not be less interested in that guy."

Away from the thumping music and flashing lights of the main floor, we could talk much more easily—not that that would be a good thing if all they intended to do was give me a hard time.