Chapter 10

President Glass couldn't stop crying. Tears rolled down her makeup like beads of rain across the surface of a waxed limousine. The president's bedroom was deep underground, and she felt as if she was living in a cave at the center of the Earth. It was her personal hiding spot, similar to the closet that a child might retreat to when afraid. And like that child, President Glass was deeply afraid.

Her worst fears had materialized. The country had died. The world had died. Her husband had died. Her daughter was missing and presumed dead after her helicopter reportedly crashed. Nothing remained for President Glass. She didn't know why she had been spared. She didn't want to be spared. Not now. Not in the lonely hell that remained.

A small chirp sounded from the secure phone on her nightstand. Conventional phone service had been lost all across the country, but engineers had managed to wire up the emergency operations center in Bluemont, Virginia, to satellite communications.

She rolled over and put the pillow over her head.

The phone sounded again.

She wanted to ignore it. Answering it meant making decisions, and that was something she felt utterly incapable of doing. If she had her way, they would just let her wither away like flowers on a grave.

The phone continued to ring.

She sighed and picked it up.

"What?"

"Madam President, are you feeling better?" The voice was that of Lincoln Pike, her newly appointed vice president. The elected vice president had died from the virus two weeks ago. As the Speaker of the House, Lincoln had all but insisted that he be appointed vice president. With few other options available, she had finally acquiesced.

"I'm sleeping. What do you want, Lincoln?"

"I think we should meet."

"Why?"

"There are matters to attend to, Madam President. Serious matters."

She wanted to argue the point, but she knew he was right. The country needed leadership now more than ever. Unfortunately, she was not up to being that leader.

"Fine," she said. "When?"

"Tomorrow. I've already arranged a flight."

"Tomorrow isn't good."

He hesitated, choosing his words carefully. When he finally spoke, his voice was soft and warm.

"Allow me to help you, Madam President."

She wiped tears from her eyes and swallowed hard. Lincoln cared about her in the way a lion cared about a wounded gazelle. She considered refusing to see him. But then what? He would be relentless until he got his way.

"Fine. Tomorrow at noon." She hung up the phone and fell back into bed.

***

There was a strong knock at Vice President Pike's door.

"Enter."

The door opened and General Hood stepped inside. With his perfectly pressed uniform, cluster of commendation medals, and spit-shined shoes, he looked every part the professional soldier.

"Have a seat, General."

"I prefer to stand."

The vice president smiled. He liked General Hood. He was smart, ruthless, and most important, trustworthy.

"What did you find out?"

"The girl was not at the crash site."

The vice president pushed his chair back from the desk.