Chapter 20

The night was turning cold, and Mason buried himself under four blankets that were as ancient as the nuns who had slept beneath them. He was just dozing off when Bowie let out a loud bark as the dormitory door burst open. Mason shot upright, reaching for the Supergrade lying on the table beside his bed. Bowie snarled viciously as he scrambled to his feet, his claws scratching against the wooden floor.

Father Paul stumbled into the room, carrying a candle in one hand and a radio in the other.

"They're coming!" he said, unable to quite catch his breath.

Detecting the familiar scent of the priest, Bowie softened his warning but remained standing between Father Paul and Mason.

"Who's coming?"

"The convicts. All of them. They're coming here! Now!"

Mason got to his feet and quickly dressed. While he was pulling on his boots, he asked, "Who called it in?"

"Chief Blue." Father Paul shoved the radio toward him. "He saw them mobilizing. They're getting ready to stage an attack. Here at the church!"

"How soon?"

"I don't know."

Mason clicked the talk button on the radio.

"Chief, what's going on there?"

After a moment, a hushed voice said, "Marshal, thank God I reached you. Rommel and his men are pulling out of the Walmart parking lot. I count eleven fully-loaded vehicles coming your way."

"How soon?" Mason asked, picking up his assault rifle and checking the chamber.

"The dark will slow them down, but they'll be to you in half an hour."

"Did you call the other deputies?"

"Yes. We're all coming to you, but I'm not sure I'm going to make it in time."

"Don't try. Work your way in behind them, but maintain radio contact. You're our eyes on this."

"Roger."

Mason pressed the talk button again.

"Vince, Don, Coon, are you out there?"

Within seconds, Vince replied, "I'm out in front of the church. Ask the good Father to let me in."

Mason gestured to Father Paul, who immediately spun around and headed toward the front door.

The radio sounded again. The reception was poor and Don's voice broke up several times.

"I'm about ten minutes—stopping at—station—ammo."

"Got it," said Mason. "Get everything you can carry, including a few spare rifles."

"Roger—will get—see you—few."

Mason waited to see if Coon would sign in. He didn't. Coon's house was out to the east, and he was most likely still out of range.

"Chief Blue, if you can reach Coon, get me an ETA."

"Let me try."

After about a minute, Chief Blue came back on.

"Coon's ten minutes behind me. He's not going to make it in time to get inside either."

Mason needed every gun he could get. He thought for a moment.

"Tell Coon to find a spot near the church with a decent vantage point. He's going to be our sniper." "Will do."

Mason looked over at Bowie. The dog knew something was coming. It held its head high, watching his every move.