5 (Rewritten)

October 30th 12:05 am

Chills ran down my spine as my breathing became heavier. It was the same song in my nightmare. If I don't look back and made a dash for it, I'd survive.

Survive what?

I sound like a crazy person right now. The tune was slightly closer and maybe it was because I was intoxicated or maybe it was because I was plain stupid but I turned around.

There was no one there.

I let out a sigh of relief as the tension in my body began to leave.

However, there was a small box laying flat on the concrete. It was in the middle of the pavement so there was no way in hell I could have walked past it without noticing. The box was beautiful. Colorful shapes were scattered around the box as golden diamonds were situated everywhere.  It was then that I realized that the box was the object making the eerie tune.

There was a name for this toy. What was it again? Clown-in-a-box? No that wasn't it. The name was in my mind but maybe I couldn't clarify it because I was drunk. I tried to concentrate on similar names.

Jack-in-the-box! That what it was called. It seemed as if in the exact moment of my genius epiphany, the music stooped and a clown popped out.

I jumped slightly. The clown wore all white as the eyes were black buttons. On its head was a black wig and splatters of red were everywhere in the box. It seemed to be holding something. I slowly approached the clown and saw a small gold envelope with dried up red paint on the surface. The envelope has "Harley" written in beautiful cursive.

Why was there a random fucking clown on the pavement? And why the fuck does the clown have an envelope with my name written on it? I gulped in an attempt to soothe my scratchy throat as my heart beat erratically against my ribcage.

I was terrified.

I grabbed the envelope and ran home. I didn't look back. I kept running until my lungs felt as if it were to collapse and my legs burned painfully. I ran up to my bedroom, not before setting my alarm. If I have a stalker after me, I needed to be safe. I wasn't sure if Sam was home at that very moment. I swayed slightly towards his door but found that he was not in his room. 

Closing the door of my bedroom behind me, I put on my lap and slowly opened the envelope.