Chapter 5

After finding a place to rest for the day, I quickly freshened up and went in search of this mystery spa. The address on the brochure led to a vacant block. I scanned the area and saw nothing notable. Businesses that were only just opening for the evening, others were locked up tight.

This was one of those mixed towns where humans were brave enough to live among the vampires. Either that or they couldn't afford to move. They did what they could to survive, and we did what we could to lure them out.

Turning away from the vacant block, I watched as the vampires began to emerge. I'd been given the wrong information intentionally. Silas did not want to be found, but that didn't bother me at all. I faced this kind of nonsense with most assignments. Of course, I rarely came across several vampires trying to help out. Usually, it was just one.

Conspiracy thoughts floated through my mind as I crossed the road. I looked at my reflection in the window and thought that a little alteration was necessary. It was possible that Blyth lied about not mentioning my gender, it was likely that he'd described me as well.

Pushing open the door to the salon, I hoped they could accommodate my needs.

"Good evening."

"Hi, can you fit me in for a color removal and returning me to a shade close to my natural blonde?"

"Sure, take a seat."

It was a deviation from the path, but if it helped me locate the man that was determined to hide from me, then it would be worth it.

Two hours later, I was back to being blonde, and my cash supply was down a whole lot of money. I didn't want to use my card here; I had to presume that I was being watched and tracked from all places. Did I have trust issues? You bet your ass I did.

Walking along the sidewalk, I stopped at the corner store. On one wall of the alcove entrance was an information rack that was filled with things to do in this town. Thumbing through them, I pulled a few interesting ones out and pretended that I was just a tourist. Glancing at the leaflets, I pushed open the door and went straight to the counter.

"Good evening miss,"

I looked up at the young man and smiled sweetly at him.

"Hi, I was looking for somewhere to relax. You know, blow off a little steam."

His eyes darted around, giving me a hesitant laugh.

"Sure. There's a great tavern at the end of the street."

"No, honey," I purred, leaning on the counter to give him a jaw-dropping view. "I mean to really blow off a little steam. Maybe a massage to relieve the stress and a little fun to relieve the tension."

He gulped hard, weakly smiling at me.

"We don't have any of those sorts in this town, miss." He whispered.

"Sure you do. Every town has them. I just want a pretty little lady to make me forget about everything that troubles me."

It looked like that the only bulb in the house that was his mind was just blown. The poor lad stared at me as if I were a rare commodity. I smiled, making it worse — one pout with a sultry gaze.

"Come on, where can I find the pleasure girls?"

"Building," He stammered, gesturing to the wall behind him, still staring at me. "Red door. Ain't no signs on it."

I smiled sweetly at him, giving him a wink as I turned.

"Maybe I might see you there tonight."