Chapter 7

Chapter Seven - Fire

It has been a month since I arrived at the vampire kingdom. A week after Asher had shown me the library, he left when he received word that the witch had been spotted in the northern part of city. I go through the same routine every day; wake up, have breakfast, read or wander around the castle and go back to sleep. Grace, the castle's cook prepares food for me every day and always sends up treats.

Some guards are friendly, but most of them choose to silently roam around the castle with expressionless faces and respond with short answers. Most maids refuse to speak either, whispering to themselves when they catch sight of me walking down the hallways.

Sighing, I push away the curtain and rest my head against the window pane. I'm back in the library yet again and although I have not run out of books to read, I wish to do something different to occupy my time. It's night time now, I can tell by the moon hanging high in the sky. I spent the whole day cooped up in here, either reading books, drawing or taking naps.

"Miss Ayla?"

I jump out of my skin, turning towards the door of the library. Standing there are two tall yet broad men, evidently muscular. They are around the same height and are dressed in black gear, weapons strapped on them that glint in the light whenever they move.

One of them has red hair with green eyes, flawless skin but sharp features like all vampires have. He's the cheerful looking of the two as they walk towards me. The other man has blonde hair that touches his shoulders, a long scar running from his temple to his jawline which makes me wonder who did that to him. His bright blue eyes look over me, but it doesn't make me uncomfortable. He seems to be assessing rather than scrutinizing. This man's features are soft instead of sharp and angular, which seems like a contradiction to his icy demeanor.

"Hi, can I help you?" I smile, stepping towards them.

"Actually, that's our job." The red-haired man laughs at my confused expression.

"I don't understand."

"We are your personal guards, I'm Corbin." He grins down at me before gesturing to the blonde. "And this is Vito."

"Guards? Why do I need guards?" I frown, wondering what had happened for Asher to assign Vito and Corbin to me.

"Blithe, the psychotic bitch, is getting closer to the castle. With you here and Sage on the way, Asher doesn't want to risk anything. He's increasing security and since we are the best, we get to protect his beloved." Corbin grins cheekily as he boasts, my cheeks coloring when I realize that they know Asher and I are mates.

"Sage is coming?"

"Unfortunately, yes." Vito explains, taking a seat on the chaise lounge. My brows arch in surprise when he takes out a dagger and starts polishing it. "Little brat."

"She's great, you'll love her." Corbin rolls his eyes at him, shooting me a smile.

I chuckle, taking a seat opposite them. "Have you two been working for Asher a long time?"

"Yes, about twenty-five years now." He replies, propping his legs on the coffee table which I push away with a playful glare. "Vito and I know each other since we were children. Asher found us together after one of the wars and wanted us to work at the castle."

We continue to talk until my yawns become much too frequent, both telling me that they'll escort me to my bedroom. I walk with them and it's kind of weird, back at home Dad would usually have a lot of guards on us but they were all hidden. Vito walks silently but Corbin continues to chatter away until we reach my room, both taking up their positions outside my door.