Chapter 38 - Calling Trouble

THE CONTROLLER was nervous. Not very much, more like jitters before a show. Violence was always the last resort to support or rescue a mission. The action team was in motion, and it was mere minutes now until, hopefully, the green sign would be given that the unknown team was eliminated.

Confusion to our enemies, the Controller thought. Isn't that some old British toast?

He glanced at the clock. Close to 18:00 hours. One more day. The Controller was confident that the action team would give them enough opposition or confusion to make it work for another twenty-four hours. And that's what they needed.

His computer gave a little pinging noise. A new mail had arrived from the mother ship. He hoped it held the background material the Controller had requested about the opposition team: Paul Trouble, Dreadlock Girl, Schwartz, and Tom. And indeed, it contained at least two files, one for Paul Trouble and one for Schwartz. The Controller opened the Schwartz file first and briefly scanned its contents. Schwartz's real name had been Christian Brady, a senior contractor for many of the Western European agencies, mostly for MI6. Very experienced. Logistics, some active action now and then.

And now dead, the Controller thought laconically.

Mr. Paul Trouble. The file was longer than Brady's. Much longer. The first page was an English employment record of Paul Trouble as a paper pusher, number wizard in the M&A department of Strom Holdings. But why the thick file? The second page was entitled "Top Secret – No Engagement," which made the Controller stop in his tracks. No engagement meant just that: Leave the subject alone. A glance in the bottom corner showed the report date, about six years ago. The Controller scrolled to the next page, reading. The color drained from his face. Was this for real? He scrolled one more page down, and it got even worse.

Shit, shit, shit, shit. The Controller picked up the burn phone and hit dial-repeat to alert the action team.

Pick up, pick up, pick up! he said to himself.

Someone picked up.

There were funny background noises, like a fire, sirens, and people screaming. Then a male voice, slightly out of breath.

Not a question. Not a statement. A promise.

"Trouble."