Chapter Fifty-Nine - Reunited

Namjoon

I crouched down lower on the branch, watching as Aster walked the paths below me. Seeing her was like water to my thirsty soul. My eyes looked over her as she walked. Her arms were folded across her torso, her thumbnail between her lips. Her white tail flicked slowly and her ears laid back against her dark hair. She seemed to be deep in thought.

I had missed her.

I inched forward, keeping her in my sights as she began to walk away from me. I felt my breath hitch as I realized she was moving away and I didn't want to lose her. I inched a little bit further and suddenly, a shift in my weight told me I had made one too many moves. My claws scrambled to find purchase as I quickly lost my balance. With a startled growl, I landed on my side, smashing into the ground below, taking out a few rose bushes in my wake.

Every move I made dug thorns deeper into my fur and I lay still for a moment, trying to just catch my breath and get my bearings.

"Coal?! What on earth?! How did you get here? How did you get there?" Aster was suddenly rushing towards me, eyes full of worry and concern.

Who was Coal?

She grimaced as she reached forth with bare hands and plucked away rose stems and thorns. "I'm going to have to talk to someone about your keeper. He's so careless! What if you had been seriously hurt?"

She thinks I am someone else? Another hybrid?

Aster continued to sigh and grumble as she kept removing rose petals and thorns. I flinched with the removal of each thorn and I feared how many might be all over me, hidden in my fur.

Her hands reached up and she gingerly stretched them out to my ears, slowly caressing them and making me instantly relax.

If she does this all the time with that other Coal, I will have issues with him.

"You're so much more docile today. Usually it takes you a bit to warm up to me," she said quietly, still stroking my ears and my head.

I took the opportunity to look her square in the eyes. Those beautiful, bright blues. She stared back, but simply smiled.

"What are you trying to tell me? Still hurting? I should get the stock vet to check you out. Can't have my baby hurting." She cooed and ran her hand down my side. I shuddered and if a panther  could purr, I would be doing it endlessly.

"Let's get you up. I'll take you back to your enclosure. I'll make sure the vet gets over to check you out as soon as possible. If he makes you wait, I will personally see to it that he's punished."

I walked slowly beside her, trying not to let her presence cause me to drop my guard. I glanced back over my shoulder as we left the garden and saw my men in the trees, alert and worried. I snarled a bit, implying they should stay put, but I knew they probably wouldn't obey, given this literal upset to the plan.

My eyes scanned the premises as we walked. Several guards stopped us and questioned why one of the stock animals was out of its enclosure and they looked nervous. Either Aster was intimidating or this Coal was. I decided to keep up appearances and curled my upper lip. The guards backed away quickly and we were soon walking once more.

I was itching to meet this other leopard who had caught Aster's eye. I chuffed in frustration with myself, letting my emotions distract me. Jealousy was not worth getting all of us killed.

I stayed close to Aster, keeping my head low as we walked. Her hand brushed my head and ears and I relished it. Once I unconsciously raised my muzzle into her hand and she beamed a smile down to me.