Chapter 25- End of the First Order

Outside the Death Star wreckage, the skies of Endor blazed. The canon fire seemed to have stopped; the atmosphere was quiet but filled with a mixture of orange flame and grey smoke. Several Dreadnoughts had come to rest their decimated carcasses upon the grassy plains of Endor. The impact of the ship's body's weight with the ground crushing and flattening vast sections. The air around the flaming remains of ships rippled with heat, and smoke swirled about it. The metallic debris of other vessels, X-Wings, B- Wings, Tie-Fighters, Y-Wings and other Resistance ships lay strewn across the grass or within the sea. This once lush green and beautiful planet had been ravaged by war, caught up in the conflict between good and evil. Hopefully, this time would be the last time.

"Is it over?" Rey asked.

"Not if Pryde is still alive." Ben reached for a communications device, "General Hux has Pryde surrendered?"

Static and silence followed until General Hux's clipped and ever-eloquent voice broke through.

"Not yet, Ren. All others have, but he is standing firm. We're preparing a convoy to gain his submission. I shall arrange for your collection. Your presence, I'm sure, will be most persuasive."

Ben and Rey did not need to wait long before a shuttle landed to escort them to Pryde's Dreadnought.

"Good to see you're still alive, Sir," the stormtrooper greeted Ben with a courteous nod before greeting Rey the same way. 

Rey looked about, bewildered and amazed by the entire exchange. Ben nodded at the officer as the shuttle launched towards the scene of war above. He led Rey to a room at the back, where he proceeded to search through medical supplies. Ben found what he was looking for and wrapped the bacta patch around the scorch mark on Rey's arm, then grabbed another piece for her stomach, placing it on gently as she flinched with pain. Ben placed his large hand on her shoulder, searching her face, making sure she was OK, and she smiled back at him reassuringly. Relieved that she was not too severely injured, he kissed her on the forehead before exiting the room and headed back to where the troops were standing, staring out the shuttle windows at the scene before them.

Outside the atmosphere of Endor, Rey had never seen the likes of it. The immediate space was littered with enemy and Resistance ships' debris, united in mutual destruction. The glittering remains of exploded ships were all just stardust now in the eternal emptiness of the galaxy. Beside him, Ben could feel Rey's anger and grief at the loss of life.

"Contact Dameron. As leader of the Resistance, he needs to be the one to take Pryde's surrender."

Rey nodded and opened her comms device. "Poe, it's Rey."

"Rey, you OK?"

"Yes, we're both fine. Palpatine is defeated. It's time to end this."

"Agreed, everyone has surrendered but those on board Pryde's ship. Meet me in the hangar of Pryde's Dreadnought."

Ben, Rey and the troopers from the shuttle met with General Dameron in the hangar of Allegiant General Pryde's Dreadnought. Ben stalked forward purposefully as he neared the group, Rey at his side. Poe spoke to them on their arrival.

"Solo. Rey," Poe greeted them.

Ben had to take a moment before he responded. The pilot had called him Solo. Finn had done that on Mustafar and now Dameron.

"We are ready to advance when you are," Poe continued.

"Let's proceed then." Ben ignited his lightsaber, and to his side, Rey ignited hers, following Ben as he led the way towards the bridge.

-X-

Captain Janome had watched the situation unfolding on the bridge of the lead Dreadnought. Vice Admiral Renor was dead, and his ship had plummeted to the planet below long ago. General Kail had surrendered, and then there had been the betrayal by Admiral Deltan, General Hux, General Targo and Colonel Kramer. Regardless of such defections, the battle had been reasonably evenly fought. When Allegiant General Pryde had lost the use of his ship autocannons and communication with Letan Nex on Endor's surface had failed, everything had changed. Janome had received correspondence from unknown Resistance leaders aboard Grand Admiral Skalick's Dreadnought informing her that the ship was under their command and that Skalick was also dead. She had watched their pilots doing their best to defend the First Order flagship, but so many had been reduced to metallic stardust that with no one higher to command her, Captain Janome had called them back. Pryde had barricaded himself in his quarters, refusing to leave until Letan Nex returned, so as far as Janome was concerned, she was in charge now, and that demon Nex was dead. Good riddance. Janome hadn't joined the ranks of the First Order to bring back the Galatic Empire. Those were her men and women fighting out there, and she would no longer sacrifice for a lost cause. This battle and the First Order were as good as over.