On My Own

I walked through the snow, groceries in my bare hands. It seemed colder than usual even though Spring was coming somewhat early.

I kicked a little snow up since it was only up to my ankles now as I headed back to my cabin. When I spotted the lodge in the trees, the first thing I noticed was that the lights were off. The fire would be out also.

A small cloud escaped my mouth in the form of a sigh. I shut my eyes shaking my head pausing in my stride, I tried to clear my head.

I was thinking about him again, and trying to put it behind me at the same time. It had been almost a month now since he'd left. He wasn't coming back. I didn't think he would, but the fact that he never tried to at least reach out to me hurt somehow. I get it was cold up here but only in the winter, it wasn't even that bad in the summer...did he just hate it that much?

A frown pulled at my lips, but I started forward again reaching the door shortly after. I opened it with ease, but closed it quickly before anymore cold air could get into the cabin.

It seemed too big now, even the little living room and joining dinning room together. They'd seemed so small when I first came to this cabin many years ago. But now it felt as though I were in a very large cabin, and not in a good way.

After putting my groceries away, I started making the fire. It took a bit longer than usual, but when I had it going, I sat in front of it, staring at the flames.

He'd made me happy in the short amount of time he'd been here, and I missed him terribly. Another sigh left my lips as I got up, but there wasn't really much for me to do, other than clean. I didn't want to, I just wanted to lay down and sleep for who knows how long.

Falling back, my back hit the ground and I stared up at the ceiling sadly. I never cried over him, that would be ridiculous. We barely knew each other. But thinking back now, I suddenly felt the tears pricking at my eyes.
Taking a deep breath, I rubbed my face with both hands.

"I need to get a cat."

I kept saying this to myself, but I also knew that cats naturally hated werewolves. Maybe it was fear, or the sense of danger, but they just didn't like us, at all.

Either way, the statement stuck on my tongue. It's what I needed, a companion, someone I could care about so it wasn't just me anymore.

Curling up I stared at the door with a frown.

I felt sick, I had for a little while, but it was stronger now. Knots turning and twisting in my stomach. Why did I miss him so much?