Chapter 10 | Oh My Goddess...

"His friendship alone has strengthened me in a way that no one else's has. He swept me from my room and showed me independence. In other words, he was exactly what I needed. I won't forget it. And I certainly don't want to lose it."
-Stephanie Perkins, Anna and the French Kiss

**********

*************

*************

        Climbing into the driver's seat and catch my breath. Why has she been glaring at me the whole time? What have I ever done to her? It's not that I like her anyway. As I swerve my car out of the driveway my thoughts drift off to him. Maverick. We've grown together since childhood. He was my best friend ever since. Well, Jake and Chris too. I've never been a girly girl mostly a tomboy with three best friends whom were all guys.

But in my teens I felt something more for Maverick. I tried to brush it off then as mere infatuation but a few years later did I realize that my friendship towards him had indeed blossomed into something more. As I was aware I had no girlfriends to talk of this to. I was too afraid to confess it to him either.

So I decided to let time decide the future.

I had to leave the pack at the age of sixteen to another pack to upgrade my healing skills and learn medicine. Maverick had assumed his duties at the age of eighteen. I was so upset that I couldn't be here. And when I returned five years later I was stunned.

Where was the cheery, friendly and flirtatious boy I left behind?

Who was this dark, mysterious and cold guy?

Where is my Rick? What had happened?

He had shut everybody out. He made only customary visits to the pack house. He was only present for short periods at the pack celebrations. And then I came to know of the reason...

Luna Charlotte, Maverick's mother had passed away.

Obviously not natural death. She was traveling to another pack to meet another Luna friend of hers. Some pack members, I repeat pack members not rogues had intervened and murdered her in a gruesome manner. There was no any filthy rogue scent nearby.

Her body was later found naked, scarred with bites, cuts and bruises with the bodies of her guards just beyond our pack territory.

A curfew had been announced for the following days. Later, Rick had announced that the murderers would be dealt with by him. But all traces of scent and evidences that were found blocked us at a dead end.

The matter was left on hold, not unheeded and definitely not forgotten. When I came to know of this, I tried to get close to him. Close as a good friend. I tried to help him return back to normal. But another tragedy wrecked us apart.