| CH. 20

"I won't ask where you found this."

Nathan placed the gun on the countertop before coming to my aid. He checked my eyes, wiping at the pink tears sliding down my cheeks. They hurt, but what mattered was I could see. Nathan pointed that out as a good sign of no severe damage.

Nothing that could kill me, anyway.

"I didn't find it. It's mine," Rosie said, her head still against the wall. Her eyes never moved from Star, who stared at her just the same. "Mom gave it to me before I left."

"Smart Mom," Nathan mumbled as he grabbed my chin. For once, I didn't push him away. My head nearly fell into his hand.

"Yeah," Rosie said.

I coughed, nodding my head. I should've been thankful she had it. Charlotte was a smart woman to not let her wander the streets alone without the means to defend herself.

With a deep, pained breath, I looked at Nathan. "And you? Are you okay?" I asked him.

He lifted his brow as he checked me for organ damage. Again, nothing serious, but with his fingers prodding around my rib cage, I had to admit it hurt—shit, it hurt.

"I'm fine." He stood straight, turning his gaze to Star's trembling figure. "This is what I get for following a hunch."

"They were the hunch, huh?" Rosie asked as she stood beside him. "How'd you know?"

Nathan gripped his sore hand with the good one. Blood had spread further around his bandage. "I found pictures of the fellowship, and they were in a lot of them. I thought I'd come and just ask them about the church. I didn't expect them to kick my ass."

Rosie snorted as she looked in my direction. I saw the fear on her face. Her fingers shook even as she tried to keep them still. She'd never fired a weapon; she'd never shot anyone.

"Monty, you okay?" she asked, biting her lip.

"I will be," I said. An injured hiss followed my words as I pushed myself off the wall with my shoulder. "Time heals all wounds."

Star gasped as I looked her way. She pressed herself against the wall near the exit but didn't turn to leave. She could have, the handle was right there—just a turn, a twist, and the door would open. Rather than escape, she covered her mouth and let the tears fall from her glowing green eyes.

"Star." I crossed the room, kicked pots away with my feet, and stood in front of her. She gulped as I towered over her petite frame, but I did not hurt her. I should have because I'd already convinced myself I'd kill her. "Talk," I ordered.

"I-I'm sorry," she stammered as she grabbed the front of my shirt. "You're right. T-time heals all wounds, it really does."

I narrowed my gaze. "I ordered you to talk, but not about shit that doesn't matter. Your name isn't Star, is it?"

"N-no," her voice trembled, her nails scratching my shirt.

I inhaled her fear. "It's Scarlet?"

She nodded.

I glanced back at Rosie. "You knew who my daughter was, didn't you?"

"Everyone knows who she is." Every bit of her voice begged me not to hurt her, even if she didn't outright say it.

I pulled my lip between my teeth. My hands slammed down on the empty spaces beside her head. The sound from the wall shook the silence around us. It sent waves through my arms, pressing tiny, invisible needles into my bones. I ignored the pain that rippled up my back; the absolute torment on her face was enough for me to bear it. She'd thought I'd kill her.