| CH. 26

It was all easier said than done. While I wanted to run out and spill blood on every inch of carpet, Victor insisted I'd do it all his way—running out with guns blaring was a bad idea. After a minute of arguing, I was inclined to agree.

Nathan fidgeted with his thoughts for a while as he paced back and forth. I watched him before I took my turn to look out the window. The stars were bright and in my favor.

"So," Nathan slapped his hands together, "we're supposed to pretend to like this shit, and then assassinate the cult leader?"

"Ah, he's a bright one, isn't he?" Victor laughed as he leaned against the door.

A mirror hung beside him. I rubbed dried bits of blood from my face and combed my fingers through my hair. It fell long around my ears, just above my shoulders—I never did get a chance to cut it. "Medical student," I said as I stared at my reflection. Victor's face appeared near mine as he looked at his own.

"Are you even sure it will work?"

"It has to," Victor said as he pursed his lips, "if anyone can kill with no remorse, it's John. We're mid-transition. This new Church is nearly ready, and the priests will soon be given their assignments. Right now, Abby is left unguarded and too busy to know what goes on around here. It's now or never."

New Church. Priests. Assignments.

I sniffed at the stale air before turning to look into the eyes of my father. It was strange to admit, but I saw myself in him. A week ago, I didn't know he existed. Now, I clapped his hand in mine and nodded, agreeing to his plan.

"Alright, old man," I said as Nathan stood beside us, "it's now or never."

*

When one thinks of a manor, one would imagine elaborate walls, lined with paintings and décor. That wasn't what I saw when Victor opened the door and led me out into the hall. We weren't within the manors' basements but on an upper level. Outside one of the windows, open and without curtains, I saw the town of Rockfalls, asleep and unaware of the evil beyond the lake.

"This way," Victor started ahead of us, leading us through the hall and down two flights of stairs. While the halls above were dark and unlit, the ones that dipped into the basements were very bright. Within every few feet were candles, both on tall sticks and those that hung from the tall ceiling like lanterns. The floors were swept, mopped, and almost porcelain. The walls here had pictures—biblical portraits of Jesus, the apostles, and many angels. Among them were paintings of Lucifer himself, before his casted form. I cringed at the sight.

"Explain to me again, what is it I'm supposed to believe in?" Nathan asked in a quivering voice.

I snorted. The Devil.

"She—" Victor cleared his throat, "—we believe our immortality is a gift, for we're without sin and our souls are clean. Now, as for the rest of mankind, they're evil, full of violence and hate. Our purpose on this Earth is to expose that truth, so he may grant us passage into Heaven."

He paused for a second, passing his hand over a candle's flame. "We're to believe in Lucifer's right to deny love to man and follow in his footsteps. Through our actions and sermons, God will see his banishment as unjust. He will resurrect Lucifer's soul."

I rolled my eyes, "A twisted bible."

"Yes," Victor took in a deep breath as we turned down another hall, decorated the same, "none of it is true."

"You say 'man' like you all aren't men. If he denied man love, doesn't it mean he hates you, too?" Nathan asked as curiosity took over.