𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝓉𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎 𝓉𝓌𝑜

•*•

.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.

The first party felt like the worst thing to be attending. They were celebrating the start of a new game, and of course, President Snow had made it an even bigger spectacle than usual. There was more decor, more amusement, more food than they'd ever be able to eat, and more screens to watch every move the tributes made.

For Daphne, the night got cut short when Blight walked into the forefield and passed away. Daniel came to find her, complaining about how he was missing the 'party of the century' as they were brought back to the quarters the mentors were staying in.

Normally, the complaints would have struck a nerve, but that night they did not. Daphne wasn't listening, in fact, she didn't feel a whole lot. It was as if the reality got punched into her brain once again, more forceful now, too. That could have been Johanna, and that could still be her any moment.

She felt horrible for not thinking about Blight, the person who had actually died. She hadn't known him well, but he seemed nice and didn't deserve to die the way he had. In fact, he didn't deserve to die at all. None of them did.

Too soon for Daphne's liking, they were back at the tall building and escorted to her quarters by a handful of Peacekeepers. On the table were laid out forms. Barely processing things, she filled in what she knew and made up things for the questions she couldn't answer. No one would be reading them anyway.

While filling in the questions that seemed irrelevant, Daphne couldn't shake the feeling that she might have to answer those questions for Johanna. She already knew she wouldn't be able to do that if it came down to it.

Rather soon she was done and still felt numb. "Alright," Daniel said with a sigh, having changed in less glittered clothing. "Let's go, you'll be done after this."

Once again, they were escorted by a couple of Peacekeepers while Daniel filled the silence with memories about Blight, although they were very generic and probably weren't even things the real Blight would do.

Her mind drifted away again, wondering what Daniel would say if it were Johanna they were going to ship off back to 7. Before she could really think about it too much, they were let into a large, bright room. There was a table and two doctors, touching Blight's body, writing things down.

"Are you done?" A Peacekeeper asked and the doctors nodded, taking a step backward. The same Peacekeeper turned to Daphne. "You have to sign some forms, just that it's the male tribute from 7, that you were his mentor, how he died."

Without a word, she moved towards Blight, unable to look away, even when the doctors pressed the papers into her hands. She hadn't been able to help him, hadn't been able to do anything to prevent his death. She wouldn't be able to help Johanna, either.

She signed the forms, taking a deep breath before handing them back and nodding towards Daniel, who came closer and said in a soft voice: "Come on, let's get you back to your room. You must be tired."