Liquors & Chasers

Have you ever felt alone? Do you still believe in love?~Miguel.

Chapter Theme Song: 'Do You' by Miguel.

A/N: Swipe left for the song audio :)

°°

Rainey

"Zip me up." Riley whirls her back to me, and I enclose my fingers around the slim zipper and pull it up. She faces the large mirror hanging on my wardrobe, beaming brightly at her appearance.

"Ooh, this dress is nice."

I smile, tilting my head as I attempt to get my earring in. "You can have it."

She stares at me with slack jaws. "Really?"

"Yeah." I shrug. "It looks better on you."

Her bleach-white teeth display in an angelic smile before she angles her body to have a better inspection of the black dress that clings to her slender, svelte figure.

"Thanks, Rain."

Riley is like a sister I was supposed to have, but something went wrong and we somehow ended up separating into two different wombs. The only difference is our appearance.

Riley has a flawlessly bronzed complexion, and her midnight black eyebrows complement her dark short hair. Her lips are plump, and she has a film star nose that people would pay millions to get. Her physical attributes are an obvious contrast to my shoulder-length brown hair with a tip of gold lining a few strands, my puffy lips, and my deep amber eyes.

"Have you heard from your Dad?" Riley queries, while carefully sweeping the black eyeliner beneath her eyes.

I shrug. "We spoke last night. He's not in the country right now. He got a deal in Dubai."

"Oh." She compresses her lips, a sympathetic expression surfacing her features.

My father's busy schedule does not allow us to time to hang out much or to have those priceless father-daughter bonding moments. However, he makes it his duty to spend time with me on my birthdays and holidays.

I don't blame him for having little to no leisure time. If My mother hadn't separated our family like this, I would see him more often. Now he only comes around when Jeff isn't over, and Jeffrey stays here often these days.

I'd choose to live with him instead of my Mom any day, but he's hardly home, and he hates the idea of me being there alone when he's on the job.

"Your dress is nice." Riley grins, attempting to brighten the sullen atmosphere.

"You think?" I glare over my attire. The black dress is simple; a modest V-cut at the neck being the only design. However, despite my efforts to stay unostentatious, my curvaceous hip is enough to draw attention. I consider wearing jeans, but Riley is already grabbing her jacket off the bed.

"Are you ready?"

I nod. "Yeah, let me get my shoes on."

I hunch down to slip my black leather ankle boots on before we leave my room to head downstairs.

Jeff is lounging back on the couch, holding a bottle of beer while he watches the game on TV.