Apologies. Or Something Like That

I walked away. And never looked back.

Well...

That was the plan. Until tweedle dumb, tweedle dumber, and tweedle dumbest knocked me unconscious and kidnapped me.

I'm joking! That didn't actually happen. Although, I'm sure the thought crossed their minds had I been REALLY upset.

What happened was that I walked out of that shack calmly, though my fists were shaking uncontrollably and my knuckles were busted, before John caught up to me and grabbed my elbow. I turned around, my fists clenched mainly so that I didn't punch him square in the jaw, but also to stop the shaking.

'Don't, Grace. Deep breaths.'

"Grace. I'm so sorry about that. My cousin is an-" He tried to apologize, but I cut him off.

"John, I'm not mad at you or Ben, okay? So don't get your knickers in a twist." I shook my head, trying to hide my lips quivering. "I'm not even mad at Grayson, for that matter. I know why he did it." I continued and shook my head. 

I then looked John in the eyes before continuing. "He knew I was holding back and he pushed my buttons to see what I'm like when I'm angry." I explained, my voice having an edge to it that it hadn't had for a while. "I just-" I cut myself off with a frustrated sigh and ran my fingers through my hair.

'Don't go back there, Grace. Mum wouldn't want you to.'

"Him talking about my mum brought back painful memories and I can't...deal with them right now or I honestly don't know what I'll do." I warned him with a weak smile. 

He wore a  look on his face that made me feel like he knew all my secrets. And the thought terrified me to the bone. 

"I'll be fine. I just need to blow off some steam or I'll punch someone's head clean off." I finished with a small chuckle, trying to lighten the mood.

It didn't work. 

John sighed and ran his hand over his face at my words. 

Suddenly, "Grace!" I heard Ben call. 

I looked at the door and saw him and Grayson coming towards John and me. Gray had a guilty look on his face, like a kid getting caught sneak eating cookies. 

When they got close, I cut them off before either of them said anything. "Look, guys. It's okay. None of you are in trouble. Okay?" 

They all gave me unconvinced looks. 

'Son of a-'

"I just..." I paused and shook my head with a small sigh, "need to take a few breaths and not shove Gray off the nearest bridge." I said jokingly and Gray gave me a look that told me how sorry he was. 

An apology would only make the situation ten times as awkward. 

I gave them all a small smile and faced him. "Relax. I know why you did it and I would have done the same." I continued gently, letting him know it was alright.

"I'm...so sorry. I didn't know." Grayson said honestly. His face had a devastated look on it and I could hear the sincerity in his voice. 

"There's nothing to apologize for." I stated firmly. "Now, can we just change the subject?" I very nearly begged. 

I felt a few nasty things trying to resurface. Nasty emoshons. And I couldn't deal with them right then or else I could spiral.

The thought of Bertinelli being on the loose was the only thing that kept me from exploding and forced me to keep my cool.