Chapter 4

By the time of first light, Jasmine and I had entered the Burning Badlands. My thoughts began trailing to my family. What would their reactions be? Would they assume me dead as well? Would they be angry? Heartbroken?

    I shifted from those thoughts and returned my focus to the road ahead. I looked at maps of this place a few times, and I may or may not have stolen the map from my brother's room, but I still genuinely had no idea where I was going. The Hellborn Triad's stronghold-The Fortress of Damnation- isn't on the map. In fact no one knows where it is in the Burning Badlands; we just know it's somewhere here- in this bleak desert.  

Jasmine and I trudged on through the desert until noon, when we discovered a small oasis in the hellish landscape. I took out my provisions while Jasmine drank her fill from the watering hole. Luckily we hadn't encountered a monster yet, but I stayed on high alert during our break- my right hand always near the hilt of my sword. I ate some bread and a tomato, while I gave Jasmine a carrot, and I refilled my flask with water after drinking almost half of it already.

We decided to keep going through the badlands, staying alert and at attention. As day began its beautiful transition to night, I knew we needed to find a safe place to sleep the night. Luckily, I spotted a group of boulders, and decided to lead Jasmine in that direction. But as we began heading towards the boulders, I saw a figure staggering about it.

    Thinking it was Peterkin, I rushed Jasmine on, but was shocked when I was face-to-face with an unholy- yet very attractive- creature.

    He had dark skin and blood-red  eyes, that seemed to pierce right through me. His long black hair was messy, but almost looked like silk. He had ram horns growing out the top of his head, and his teeth looked like they could pierce through skin alone.  I don't know why, but my gut instinct was to bow at his feet.  Atop his head was a spikey crown made of obsidian, and I knew it had to be one of the Hellborn Triad.  I hopped off my horse and drew my sword, prepared for the beast to strike me. But I noticed he was shaky- his striking ruby eyes were glazed over, and it was then I noticed the wounds littered across his toned body.  As if instinct, I dropped my longsword, and reached out just in time to catch him as he fell to the ground.

(Count: 452)