Chapter 8

I awoke at dawn, the early rays of sunlight stirring me from my sleep. Rezrath was still asleep, his broad chest rising and falling slowly in his relaxed state. I feel a smile of fondness creep up to my face as I looked upon the sleeping demon prince.

Oh no, not this again, A voice rang in my head, What do we see in him again?

He's so sweet, the other voice replied, And plus, he's so attractive~

I thought we've been over this, He's the crown prince of Hell. We can't-

So what, The second voice retaliates, He's the first guy ever to treat us like an actual person. How can you at least not find that attractive?

The first voice was silent for a moment, True, it whispered finally.

The voices finally ceased as I began to prepare breakfast for Rezrath, Jasmine and I. When the meal was almost done, I heard the rustling of Rezrath's obsidian wings, and I turned to see him sitting up, rubbing his eyes and stretching.

"Good morning Briar," Rezrath yawned, his scarlett eyes opening wide at first, but blinked back at the harshness of the sunlight, "ready for today?"

I look up at the sky, "It's not going to be easy, but yes, I'm ready."

I looked at Rezrath out of the corner of my eye, and I could see him gazing upon me, his gaze one of seriousness, yet I could feel a trace of affection behind his blood-red eyes.

"You're right, this isn't going to be easy," he agreed, looking off into the distance, "My brothers are ruthless beasts. They, especially Kor'geden, do not pity humans as I do; they relish in the suffering of your kind."

I bite my lip, How is Peterkin fairing? Is he still alive? Was he even alive when I started this journey?

Thoughts raced through my mind at breakneck speed. Anxiety filled my core, as I began to question whether or not I should even be out here in the heat of the most inhospitable place known to the people of Kateon.

Maybe father was right, we should have left questing to the men.

Perhaps we should have stayed in our place.

We should've let father marry us off-

A hand grazed my own, then, with the lightest of touches, took hold of my shaking manus.

"Hey, it's going to be okay," Rezrath cooed, "I can tell you're worried about your brother; he's a formidable knight, with strong ties to the royal family, correct?"

"Yes," I whispered, my breath shaking as I tried to calm my panic, holding Rezrath's hand tightly. I felt his wings move to encompass my body, as his other hand took my own. I've never felt safer in my entire life, and I could feel my cheeks heating.

"My youngest brother, Migmodor, is both a capable warrior, and is incredibly cunning," he would know your brother's worth, and he would likely convince Kor'geden to keep him alive."

I nod, unable to speak as I try to steady my breathing. I feel myself leaning into Rezrath's touch, and he moves his hands from mine to hug me; holding me against his chest.

The two of us stood in silence for what seemed like hours- both of us comfortable in each other's embrace.

However, our contentment was interrupted by Jasmine, trotting her hooves and winning impatiently.

We quickly parted from our caress, our cheeks tinted in embarrassment.

Jasmine neighed in what almost seemed like a laughing manner, and I glared at her playfully.

After finishing our breakfast and packing up camp, I was sharpening my longsword as Rezrath stocked away the last of our sleeping supplies.

I could feel his admiring gaze once again, and I looked up to meet his eyes. Unlike prior instances of our eyes meeting, neither of us looked away.

"Thank you for calming me earlier, Rezrath," I smile, and his face heats up in return.

"Of course, Briar," he says, and pauses; debating whether to continue his reply, "I know we haven't known each other long, but something about you just..." he trails off, as he begins to walk towards where I sat, and I placed the sword and whetstone on a nearby rock, my eyes never leaving his.

Rezrath kneeled next to me, our eyes locked in a passionate gaze.

"... you saved me from certain death despite me being a demon- the crown prince of the underworld nonetheless- and you nursed me to health and gave me your food," he continued, "you trust my words and treat me as if I were an old comrade, not a tool in your plan or a creature to kill."

Rezrath paused, moving his hand to rest on top of mine. "You have made me feel things that I have never felt through my 300,000 years of existence, and, despite my upbringing, have become deeply enamoured by you, Briar."

He moved then moved the hand that rested atop mine to hover above my cheek. Using my hand, I nudged his hand to my heated cheeks, his words stirring adoration and hints of desire deep within my soul.

"Rezrath," I began, "you are the sweetest, noble, and most gentlemanly person I have met in my time so far on earth. Your respect for both me and my abilities has left me charmed by you. Your eloquent words and adoration has truly left me incredibly fond of you, and truly, I see you as someone which I would want to invest my devotion and affection to." I smile gently, "I have been courted by many men in the kingdom of Kateon, Rezrath, and none have ever bewitched me as you have."

Rezarath smiled in return, ruby his eyes quickly flickering from my violet orbs to my lips, "Then, my dear Briar, perhaps after we rescue your brother, and drive back my own brood, shall we run away together?" He breathed, slowly moving his lips to mine.

"We should," I reply as our lips meet in a passionate embrace- his lips warm and soft against mine, "we should run away and never look back."

(Count: 1,021)