Chapter Thirteen - Another Survivor

Chapter Thirteen

Another Survivor and Escaping Hell...

*5 years ago*

"Now what do we do?" I asked still sitting on the floor watching Nathan try to hold back the mass of undead behind him.

"Get out of here," Scott said pacing in circles.

"Well if Nathan moves, we're done for. So first we have to block off that door better. A flimsy piece of wood isn't going to hold them back." I put my head in my hands hoping the headache that had started would go away.

"Finding something fast would be good," Nathan grunted as the door heaved behind him.

I looked around trying to find something that would make a good lock. There wasn't much, just chairs and the reception desk.

"Get down," I whispered.

"That's kind of hard to do," Nathan replied.

"Fine, then just be quiet."

"Why?" Scott questioned.

"There's one of them." I pointed to the windows on the other side of the room.

One of the zombies was walking slowly, its head tilted to one side, his front covered in blood, and someone's flesh hanging out of his mouth.

"Oh my God." I tried to hold the vomit in.

"Is that..."

"Uh huh." I looked away.

"Dear sweet Jesus," Scott said, staring as it walked past us. "I know him."

"Who was it?" Nathan craned his neck to see the man.

"It was Chris Tumbler."

"Plastics Chris?"

"Yeah."

"Shit."

"A friend of yours?" I still searched for something to use as a lock on the door.

"Yeah, he is. Well, was."

"Sorry," I mumbled walking over to a chair and looking it over.

I turned it on its side and began stomping on it till the wood splintered. The curved back remained intact though. I picked it up and headed for the door.

"What are you doing?"

"Trying to block off the door long enough so we can get the hell out of here."

"That's never going to work," Scott said.

"If it gives us a five minute head start does it matter? Or do you plan on holding them back forever? Now let me put this in while I still have a shred of bravery."

I wedged the wood into the handles of the door and pulled Nathan away gently. The doors seemed to buckle a bit, but my makeshift lock was working. Temporarily.

"Now we leave. Quickly," I muttered, walking away from the undead.

"Where do we go?" Scott asked, looking at me.

"How the hell should I know? You two work here. I don't even know where I am."

"We're in the radiology reception room."

"Okay? That means what?" I asked.

"We're on the first floor," Scott said. "Go through those doors and head left you'll be at the escalators that lead out."