seven

Elle McBriar
May 2nd, 1 year and 159 days since the first zombie report

Silence, pain and grief.

That's all I could hear and feel. It was radiating off everybody.

Alex and Paxton lost their childhood best friend.
Penny lost her boyfriend.
Megan lost her friend.
And Riley lost his uncle.

I lost my best friend. And it's my fault.

"What?" Riley's small voice said. I looked over to him. He was crying. He hopped off Penny's lap and came over to me, "What do you mean?"

"Well sweetie-" I bent down to his level so I could speak to him, "Uncle Gage got bitten by a zombie." Obviously that was news to everyone because they stared straight at me, "But I thought we got rid of them?" He cried, "We thought so too. But apparently not. And Uncle Gage took the worst of it. He's... no longer here."

"Uncle Gage."

Riley ran off behind me, "No Riley!" I screamed, chasing after him. But the kitchen door was already swung open.

"UNCLE GAGE!" Riley said. He yanked at the sheet and I screamed, "RILEY NO!" Riley screamed and I picked him up, pulling him away from Gage. He cried into my shoulder as I held him tightly.

The others came rushing in but stopped at the sight in front of me.

"Oh my God." Penny sobbed, calling out for him. I held Riley close to me as I led him out of the kitchen, "Go check on baby, read him a story, okay? I'll be there soon." He nodded and looked back once before heading around the corner to Megans room.

I opened the kitchen door again, cringing at the sight.

"I don't understand." Alex said, "He can't be fucking dead it's not right!" He raged, "It's not fair. This is- it's bullshit. Fucking hell!" He screamed. He was crying and I felt terrible. "I don't know how it happened. There was just- too much blood I couldn't stop it. I tried, I really tried."

Alex looked at me, "You killed him." I was taken back by what he said, "W-what?" "You said you'd save him and you didn't. I lost my best fucking friend because of you." He yelled, storming over to me. I stood my ground, "I didn't do anything but try to save him, Alex. His blood is on my hands because I stuck them inside of him to stop the bleeding."

He shut up, "I gave him my blood to see if it would change anything. I tried to save him, Alex. I don't want to admit he's dead but reality check, he is." I was panting, kind of feeling dizzy, "I don't want to believe it." A new voice said.

Paxton.

"He- he can't be gone. Gage, please man. I- I don't know what I'd do without you." Alex and Paxton hugged each other. All I wanted to do was comfort Paxton but I doubt he wants to see me right now.

We're all hurting and there's nothing I can do.

I pulled the sheet back over his body, "We need to have a funeral. His body will start to decompose and smell and Riley's already traumatised, we don't need him asking questions."

"Tomorrow. We'll bury him tomorrow." Penny finally spoke.

* * *

All was quiet in the house as everybody went to their separate rooms.

Riley stayed with Penny in her room. He said that 'she's lonely now that no one will sleep next to her'. And Paxton and Alex are comforting each other.

I however, was in the kitchen. I glanced around the room, unsure on how to clean everything up.

I scrubbed the floors until my fingers bled, and made sure everything was spotless. I washed the scissors and everything that had been speckled with blood in the sink with soapy water. No ones gonna wanna eat in here for a few days, that's for sure.

I put a bucket under the spot where Gage's blood was leaking from, so it didn't stain the floor. I even washed the walls, fridge, chairs, everything.

The thing I don't understand, is that Gage should've transitioned into a zombie by now. I'm not sure why he hasn't, but I don't want to stick around to find out.

And as much as it pained me to do so, I had to stop his heart completely. Which is the one thing I didn't tell the others.

I exited the kitchen after a while, feeling weird stepping into the hallway.

"Hey." Megan said to me, rubbing my shoulder. "Hi." I sniffed, looking at the ground, "Nobody blames you, you know." She offered, "It's okay. It kind of is my fault." She shook her head, "No, it's not. You don't get to blame yourself for something that is out of your control." Megan said. I nodded, "Now go upstairs and find Paxton. He's in pain and he's hurting, Elle. He needs you."

I nodded my head and crossed my arms over my chest. "Thank you, Megan. I don't know what I'd do without you."

She smiled and I took the first few steps up the stairs.

I pushed the door to our bedroom open. Hoping he'd be up here.

I saw him sitting on the edge of the bed with his head in his hands. His hair is all messed up from him running his hands through it.

"Paxton." I whispered softly. He looked up at me. And my heart broke a over again. He had tears down his cheeks, a distraught look on his face.

He blinked and stood up, "He's gone Elle. He's really gone." His voice broke.

"I know baby, I know. I'm so sorry."

I wrapped my arms around him. comforting him as he cried into my shoulder. "I did everything I could. I'm sorry I couldn't bring him back to you."

Paxton cried harder into my shoulder. I felt his body weight as he let all of his emotions out onto me. He fell to his knees and I fell with him.

I began to cry too. Feeling the silent sobs rack his body. I played with his hair, twisting and pulling the strands through my fingertips as he clung to me.

I held him until he pulled away. His tear stained face, puffy cheeks and red eyes made my heart crack. He took a deep breath, "I don't wanna believe it. Not yet." He whispered. I nodded and leaned my forehead against his, "I know. It's gonna be okay though, I promise."

He breathed out a sigh. His eyes were closed, his silky brown hair falling over his eyes.

I held his face in my tiny hands, wiping the tears that continued to fall, "He's my best friend." He continued, "He- he can't be gone. Not yet. We're supposed to live our lives together."

Paxton's breathing was laboured. "Come on, let's get to bed." I whispered softly. I clasped his hands in mine as we slowly but shortly walked to the bed.

He lay on the bed, fully clothed as i climbed in next to him. Pulling the covers over our bodies as he cuddled me close. Laying on my chest as i held him, rocking him to sleep.

"i- i can't believe his gone." He whispered painfully. hearing him choke on his own tears.

I closed my eyes, pushing the hurt to the back of my head. Our legs tangled together as did our hands.

I rubbed his back until I felt him go limp. he's finally asleep. But I continued to hold him until I felt drowsy.

Sleeping away the the pain.

* * *

hiya

i am completely dead
i'm in the same boat as paxton, i don't wanna believe gage is gone

i love him :(