23 | with love, atticus

A/N: I'm super happy with how this book had turned out so far. This chapter will contain so much different stuff so I kept it simple. Their story had been such a roller coaster for me and I loved writing it, really.

    I don't know if it was medically impossible in their timeline in the 50's but i don't really care its fanfiction lmfaoo

     This isn't the last chapter but still -
Happy reading!

     This isn't the last chapter but still -Happy reading!

     THE SURGERY WAS taking an eternity.

     No one knew how long it took and how much time had passed. The only thing Neil could focus on right now was Presley. Not the play, not his studies, but only her.

     The others sat by the waiting area, silence draped all around them like a heavy blanket. Everytime they had no class, they visited the hospital, and couldn't even bother to think about anything else.

     Neil had been skipping practices. He knew it was wrong since the play was basically in three days, but he can't bring himself to focus on that when Presley was inside, struggling to breathe. He doesn't seem to care about his surroundings until his father sat on the chair next to him.

     The other boys stood up to leave the two but Mr. Perry insisted otherwise. "Father," Neil turned to look at its father, confusion etched on his face. "What are you doing here?"

     Mr. Perry sighs. He had been wanting to talk to Neil about his conversation with Presley, and now that he had the chance it just seemed so rude. Especially when he told her to stay away from Neil. "How is she?"

     Neil can't help but scoff, this was unusual of his father to care about his friends. Especially when its a girl. "I have no idea." His friends were silent as they watched the conversation between him and his father. No doubt were they sitting there awkwardly. "But she's been in there for forever, and I can't - "

     Mr. Perry watches as his son struggles to blink back the tears that threatened to spill all over again. "You - you love her?" He asked it as if he can't believe it, as if it was a curse, as if it was taboo.

     But Neil didn't care when he answers rather immediately, "God, yes I do. I do love her." This causes his friends to whip their heads towards him with a shocked expression. Apart from Todd this was the first time they heard Neil say that he loved Presley.

     Mr. Perry was speechless to say the least. He had no idea what Presley must've felt when he told her to stay away. He had no idea that his son was suffering because of her condition. And he certainly didn't know what the two had been through.

     "Are you gonna tell me to stay away from her?" Neil was still scared that his father would go back to his old ways. That his father would pick his friends for him, his career for him, dictate his life all over again.