Alan had been driving a long time, hours upon hours. He was trying to hurry and get home, but it was hard to see the road when his eyes were blurry with tears. He felt ridiculous crying over losing Gina, but he could not help it. She had stirred emotions in him he didn't remember he had. It had been a long time since he had fallen in love with anyone. The last time was back in his college days. The object of his affection back then had cheated on him. After her, he swore himself off relationships altogether. Then he started his career and he didn't have time to be with anyone anymore.

When Alan finally pulled up to the gate of his estate, he was exhausted. It hadn't taken him nearly as long to get home as it had to take her in the first place. Of course, he didn't stop but once to fill up with gas and to use the bathroom, and he flew way over the speed limit too. He rolled down his car window and pressed the small white button on the gate.

"George, I'm home. Let me in."

"Will do, boss," he said with a slight yawn.

The gates creaked open a few seconds later and Alan drove in. He parked the car and sat there for a moment. He wiped his eyes free of tears. He knew they were puffy and red-rimmed, but at least maybe none of them would notice when he went inside. He knew they were probably all up waiting for him anyway. It was just the kind of people they were. He took a deep breath and then got out of the car.

When he walked inside, the house seemed eerily quiet. Maybe they had decided not to wait up for him. He didn't know. Then he saw Maggie standing in the doorway of the living room, leaning up against the wall. She smiled when she saw him.

"How'd it go?" she asked.

Alan shook his head. "She was safe when I left her. Are you alone?"

She chuckled. "Yes. The other girls couldn't wait any longer. They all get up early, so they need their rest. Was it hard to let go?"

He smiled. "Yes. I kissed her, Maggie. On the lips. And it was the most wonderful thing I've ever felt."

Her eyes widened in surprise. She hadn't expected a confession. "I figured you would just hug her."

"I did the first time. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized it might be the last time I ever see her again. I wanted to make the goodbye count and give her something to remember me by."

Maggie sighed. The next question was difficult to ask. She felt like she was prying, but she couldn't help it. She was dying to know. "How did she react?"

Alan smiled. "She kissed me back."

"I'm so happy for you."

"She heard our conversation before we left. She told me how old she was."

Maggie raised her eyebrow questioningly. "And?"

His expression was grim. "She's 37."

"What?"

"Yes. She's only thirteen years younger. I can deal with thirteen, Maggie. It's twelve years less than I thought. I want her back." He rubbed his face down his hands in frustration. "If for no other reason, then just to know she's safe."

Maggie patted him on the shoulder. "It may happen. She may come back, but she may not too."

"I know," he said with a frown. "I know. They say if you love something you should let it go, right?"

A sly grin marked her features. "Right. Did you just admit you loved her?"

He nodded. "I admitted it to her too."